Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Can't believe I'm so cheap sometimes! >
  • Can't believe I'm so cheap sometimes!

• Can't believe I'm so cheap sometimes!

Old 06-15-2013, 08:42 AM
    Power Poster

My parents were married shortly before the depression hit and then started raising their family. My Mother made my brother's clothes without a pattern, no less, they raised vegetables wherever they lived, and so many other things. They didn't have much, but they had a lot of love to give, but they passed down the "use it, use it up, make do, do without" philosophy, so I do that even though it drives DH crazy, but then he was raised in the city, not a farm. I even had to convince him that canning and freezing vegetables from my garden was "safe", since I was living proof that it was safe. If people would reduce their waste and recycle, we'd need a lot fewer land fills. By the way, I love you recycled bag.
    Old 06-15-2013, 08:56 AM

It's a wonderful bag! Nice size, too.
    Old 06-15-2013, 09:16 AM

That's a wonderful bag. I do things like that. My friend was kind. She said I wasn't cheap, I was frugal.
    Old 06-15-2013, 10:36 AM

Great bag & pants! My city doesn't even recycle aluminum cans but they give us free garbage bags every year. I tried rinsing out & saving the cans, making a trip to recycling center once a month. We live in serious bug & critters country so hubby nixed that. It really irritates me not to recycle. Have been trying to decide on a quilt pattern for DD's Girl Scout uniforms (13 years worth). All those sweats the kids outgrew were passed on to others. Very meticulous about keeping clothes laundred well so the process is manageable. The one half way through college says mom & dad are cheap, but I notice when she does her homework she uses both sides of the paper but at school it isn't allowed! Gotta a tray to catch all ill printed paper to make note pads of them. SPCA loves to get cotton stuffed beds pads, they are washable. Return all plastic shopping bags to a recycling box at the grocery store & save some for my garage sale. So many ways to recycle! You are tight, frugal, cheap & marvelous, keep up the good work!
    Old 06-15-2013, 10:46 AM
    sap

Some people may think your cheep, I know many think the same about me, but they are the ones that can't afford a new car every 3-4 years, a second home up north, and trips. If I could make a penny squeal I would. good for you.
    Old 06-15-2013, 10:48 AM

I like the bag and the pants. Recycling is a good thing!
    Old 06-15-2013, 11:13 AM
    Power Poster

Way to go! Those pantalones are adorable.
    Old 06-15-2013, 11:58 AM

I was brought up to believe that was being thrifty not cheap. There is a difference!
    Old 06-15-2013, 12:07 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by SavedByGrace
    I LOVE the bag! Awesome idea!! I have a blouse that my grandmother gave me shortly before she passed away. I've kept it for years for sentimental reasons. I've been trying to think of something I can make with it while keeping the front of the blouse intact. Ideas?
    I hope I am not stepping in here. I bought a blouse at the secondhand store because it had the cutest retro cherries on the fabric. It was too out dated to wear, but I made the cutest apron out of it. It buttons up the back now instead of the front and all I really did was to take the collar off and sew a facing to it and add a tie back for the days I can't reach my back. It turned out so cute both of my sisters have commented on it.
    Old 06-15-2013, 12:23 PM

You are very smart - I love your bags.