Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Chemo Turban Completed >
  • Chemo Turban Completed

• Chemo Turban Completed

Old 08-16-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by SharonAnne
    Originally Posted by nanjam62
    Thanks for doing this..I'm a breast cancer survivor & can tell you that during my chemo the worst part was dealing with a bald head. So I'll offer a few suggestions if you don't mind. This pattern is great because it gives you a little fullness. I had a couple that fit close to the head & I just looked like I had painted color on my bald head.I could never find any that looked cheerful. Pastel colors are good as they keep you from looking so pale & sickly. I had a black one & always felt like I looked like it was going to be my last day so I never wore it. My favorite that I wore to bed was made from a knit that was satin on the outside & sort of flannel on the inside and it wouldn't get stuck on the pillowcase...yes, I wore it to bed because my head would get cold at night. Thanks again for doing this...you are going to add some cheer to someone who needs it!!
    Thank you. I absolutely do NOT mind any suggestions and constructive criticisms of any kind. I am new to sewing/quilting after a 30+ year hiatus and any help is welcomed. This is the first time I have sewn on stretchy fabric, also. Quite an interesting challenge, but I think I got the hang of it now. What a great idea with the satin on the outside for nighttime use. I will try it. My daughter will be graduating from Nursing School in December and has a good outlet for these turbans, so I know they are going to help make deserving people feel a bit better. What do you think of doing a large size for men, or do you think they don't mind being bald?
    My husband is bald from nature , not cancer. He found it interesting & a little humorous that I was finding out all of these "problems" with being bald that he had lived with for sometime. The only time I cried during cancer was when my hair fell out & I said, nobody knows what it feels like to be bald & then I looked at him & we both started laughing. But I would say that men who were not bald prior to cancer would like to sleep in a cap...maybe something like camo or footballish..I guess I just mean masculine..or who knows they might like a pretty pink one. One other thing, especially since you have such a great outlet for these, I received a little pillow to use in the car to put cushion the breast incision from the seat belt. The woman who made it had put a little typewritten note in with it with a prayer on it. That just made it so personal & special to me. Just a short prayer or scripture or even a thought or good wishes might be nice. Hope these help. Thanks again for doing this. PS I face knits with great fear & trepidation...give me 100% cotton but thank God for those who do this.
    Old 08-16-2010, 07:35 AM

Thank you. I absolutely do NOT mind any suggestions and constructive criticisms of any kind. I am new to sewing/quilting after a 30+ year hiatus and any help is welcomed. This is the first time I have sewn on stretchy fabric, also. Quite an interesting challenge, but I think I got the hang of it now. What a great idea with the satin on the outside for nighttime use. I will try it. My daughter will be graduating from Nursing School in December and has a good outlet for these turbans, so I know they are going to help make deserving people feel a bit better. What do you think of doing a large size for men, or do you think they don't mind being bald?
    I don't think men mind being bald but I notice some do like tying 'rags' on their heads. With a guy you never know why they are bald - is it natural, are they ill, or do they just shave their heads because they like it.

I have a friend who has always kept her hair 'buzzed' for as long as I've known her just because she likes it that way. She hates futzing with hair. It looks very striking and attractive on her.

My ex-SIL's wife just had a mastectomy and is going through chemo right now. Before she had surgery he had his thick head of dk. brown shaved so they would be a 'pair'. I think that was so nice of him. She has lost all her beautiful blond hair and I would like to make some of these for her.
    Old 08-16-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by burnsk
    Can you share the pattern?
    I don't mind doing so, but the credit goes to pgthom. Simply search on pgthom and send her a PM. If you can't locate it, send me a PM and I will pass along her pattern. It's for a worthy cause, and I don't think she would mind. It is 3 pages, but very easy and quick.
    Thank you, I will send her a PM.
    Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 AM
    Power Poster

Most knits are quite forgiving

One can even "get by" with just a straight stitch machine.

The "trick/secret" is to use a longer stitch and stretch the fabric while sewing it. So when the fabric is relaxed there is some give in the stitching.
    Old 08-16-2010, 09:07 AM

You did a a beautiful job. Looks very dressy and the recipient will be so happy to have something lovely to wear! God Bless You.
    Old 08-16-2010, 12:58 PM

I recently saw a teenager in Walmart restroom that was totally bald, It was pouring down rain outside and her and her friend were laughing about how easy she had it she could just wipe her head off with a paper towel! She looked very happy and upbeat, I actually thought she looked very good. There are days bald would be a good thing, But Cancer not so good. Prayers for all who suffer this terrible disease. What a nice thing for you to do. My co-workers daughter had Alopecia (SP) and was totally bald, She had a wig but hated it. She wears little crocheted hats.
    Old 08-16-2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

The "trick/secret" is to use a longer stitch and stretch the fabric while sewing it. So when the fabric is relaxed there is some give in the stitching.
    Thanks for the tip, bearisgray!!! I have about stood on my head to get this seam to be straight. Now I "get it".... Next one will be much easier.
    Old 08-16-2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
    I recently saw a teenager in Walmart restroom that was totally bald, It was pouring down rain outside and her and her friend were laughing about how easy she had it she could just wipe her head off with a paper towel! She looked very happy and upbeat, I actually thought she looked very good. There are days bald would be a good thing, But Cancer not so good. Prayers for all who suffer this terrible disease. What a nice thing for you to do. My co-workers daughter had Alopecia (SP) and was totally bald, She had a wig but hated it. She wears little crocheted hats.
    Nice story. I just want to give back. I know soooo many people who have or had Cancer. They are fighters and deserve to feel better about themselves. I know I would appreciate this if I were in the patients' places. My dad passed away from Cancer (but was naturally bald long before that). These are very soft - I have heard many complaints about wigs being hot and itchy. Let's hope these are well liked.
    Old 08-16-2010, 02:17 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray

Thanks for the tip, bearisgray!!! I have about stood on my head to get this seam to be straight. Now I "get it".... Next one will be much easier.
    If you stretch the knit fabric and use tiny little stitches - it won't relax back into shape and stays stretched - practice on some scraps - some knits have LOOOOTS of stretch - some have hardly any - many knits stretch in one direction, but not the other - each type has its own characteristics. Some knits don't even stretch. Handle them like a woven.

I know I say "practice on scraps" a lot - for me, it's the easiest way to see how something will behave - and I can toss a scrap and not unsew it if I don't like what I did.
    Old 08-16-2010, 03:12 PM

You are a sweetie! The turban is wonderful! I've seen people with hair wearing them too!
    Keep up the good work! :thumbup: :thumbup: :-D