Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Comic Book Collector's Quilt >
  • Comic Book Collector's Quilt

• Comic Book Collector's Quilt

Old 07-08-2013, 06:14 AM

This is awesome! One of a kind quilt!
    Old 07-08-2013, 07:11 AM

A thoughtful and personal quilt for a loved one.
    Old 07-08-2013, 07:31 AM

Oh my gosh! This is so gorgeous and so very very special! Lucky BIL!

My grown son is a comic book collector, too. He is a Spiderman expert and has a great collection of Spiderman comics and Spidey objects. I'd love to do a quilt like this for him. Can you tell us more about the never-fade copying process ? Where you had it done, etc.? As in, say, Kinko's, or some place similar?
    Old 07-08-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    What a delightful and original quilt. I love that you chose a sashing fabric that looked like space. So totally fits the sci fi/space theme of 12 favorite comic books. Thank you so much for sharing the info on the digital transfer process as well. So I have to ask, did you disclose to your BIL why you needed copies of the covers of his most prized comic books? Did he know a quilt was forthcoming? The sentiment and little space ship on the label along with the digital code to see the documentation of creating it. You didn't leave any little detail out, which makes it even more special. Please let us know Guy's reaction to this MARVELOUS quilt.

Finally, it makes me sad that ANYONE would feel intimidated sharing quilts on this board. We have all skill levels here and I have never, ever seen any post on any quilt that was anything but encouraging and thoughtful. I just don't understand why anyone would feel their quilt isn't worthy of sharing. But I am so glad you bit the bullet and DID share. How sad it would have been if none of us got to see this spectacularly original, unique and perfectly executed quilt. Thank you for sharing and don't ever feel intimidated again!
    What she said!
    Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 AM

What a fabulous quilt! And what a wonderful thing to do for your BIL.
    Old 07-08-2013, 08:51 AM

You are one gifted sister-in-law! Love your quilt.
    Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 AM

A special " THANK YOU " for sharing this terrific quilt. I want to do one with photo's of my husbands cat for future.
    Cat was part of the package I got with second husband and he is like the son hubby never had. It's like Charlie knows I want his picture so will not cooperate as soon as I have the camera in hand. Assume they can make the
    digital from photos.
    Old 07-08-2013, 10:55 AM

Hello and thank-you for the continued positive remarks I appreciate each and every one!

I have rec'd several PM asking about the digital process. I didn't ask too many technical questions about the transfers, I was banking on the experience of others in my guild and the quilt shop I frequent that the process this business used was unique and they were very experienced working with quilters. There are two ladies in my guild who have used this process and made children's quilts that have been washed numerous times and the images are standing that kind of wear and tear....good enough recommendation for me. With the comic book quilt I doubt it will be washed very often so I'm really, really confident it will stand the test of time... :0)

I'm not sure if it is allowed to post a business name etc here on the boards. I've talked with the business just a few moments ago and the description of the process was technical for me.

The long and short of it is, a photo of good quality needs to be provided to them, then they make a laser transfer, with ink formulated just for fabric, high heat setting of inks (much hotter than our irons I'm assuming) onto the fabric in a special press. FYI the photos are returned if that is a concern.

She went on to explain there are no doubt other print companies that might do this....many used to provide the service, but don't any longer as she explained it takes a lot of experience and it is a tedious, pain in the patootie, to do it right, with high quality results.

Again, she stressed that with our home ink jet printers most times when the transfer is washed or subjected to sunlight the image will most often fade with time. Mainly because ink for inkjet printers were never intended for fabric nor do we have the high heat needed to set those inks. I was told by the quilt shop that the ink doesn't just lay on top of the fibers with the digital process it infuses into the fibers.

Indeed that is the experience I've had with my 'home' processed images (Onto throw pillows) with my ink jet printer...not ever having been washed the images are fading with time. I'm not saying that is the case for everyone, just in my experience.

I asked if I could post the business name and phone number on a public board and she said, "No problem and she would welcome mail orders, or discuss the process with anyone interested." She also shared her business email addy as she said some may prefer to email to her their questions.

She did have cautionary instructions to ask if you are seeking a local printer. Again, I'll let anyone who may have those questions ask her as my understanding is limited.

So if you'd like to have the business name, phone number and email addy just PM to me until I find out if it's okay to post per the rules of this forum.

I'm not affiliated with this business just a very, very satisfied customer.
    Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 AM

Default Here is a picture

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    So I have to ask, did you disclose to your BIL why you needed copies of the covers of his most prized comic books? Did he know a quilt was forthcoming? The sentiment and little space ship on the label along with the digital code to see the documentation of creating it. You didn't leave any little detail out, which makes it even more special. Please let us know Guy's reaction to this MARVELOUS quilt.
    Thank-you for such an eloquent posting your's along with all the others just make my heart swell, to think that to my fellow quilters you can read between the lines of what this quilt meant to me in creating it for him. Yes indeed he is a special person in my heart. 46 years ago as broke kids still attending college when he and his wife were married in May and my husband I married in August...we decided the most economical honeymoon was to share it. So we shared a rented cabin on Lake Erie he and his bride and my DH and I. Now it's not every day that people can say they honeymooned with their brother-in-law! :0)

No Guy didn't know what I was doing with copies, I don't even know if he realized there was a process of transferring images onto fabric? But his comment to me last Friday when it arrived to him in the mail was, "Wow, this is the most unique and wonderful gift I've ever received." For a fella celebrating his 74th birthday that meant a lot to me.

Since you've requested it, I'll post of picture of him with quilt...he is quite theatrical, (actually still performs in community theater productions) and he's making a goofy face. but I think you will agree his expression looks very pleased on his handsome face.....
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]422956[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]422957[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 101_0345.jpg   101_0346.jpg  
    Old 07-08-2013, 11:50 AM
    Power Poster

What a fantastic quilt, I'm sure he will treasure it always.