Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Current project? >
  • Current project?

• Current project?

Old 10-14-2012, 12:20 PM

Default Current project?

I'm sure someone has this thread going, but I couldn't find a current one. I'm working on a memory quilt for a customer. Since her daughter is moving away to her first "grown up" job, she wants a quilt with photos of the daughter growing up and with other family members. Scanning and printing them onto the printer fabric was fairly easy. She wanted the photos in b&w or sepia only. After printing I cut the photos apart and stitiched a black frame around each. I'm at the point of sewing the photos onto the background fabric, an off-white muslin. The math is killing me! The photos are different sizes so I grouped them together and am having fits figuring out the dimensions of the muslin pieces. I'm able to do it but, goodness, I wish it didn't make my brain hurt so. I can't wait to get past this part and begin the fun quilting.

One photo is a pic of the transfer fabric that I used. After printing I had to iron it to fabric, so I chose a white muslin. I wanted something thin (the transfer fabric is quite thick) and white because the white parts of the photos allow whatever is behind to show through.

What WIP are you working on and what part of quilting makes your brain hurt (or at least annoys you a bit)?
    Attached Thumbnails dscn1794.jpg   dscn1797.jpg   dscn1798.jpg  
    Old 10-14-2012, 12:40 PM

I'm trying to get my Halloween table runner quilted so I could actually use it this year. Then I have a Thanksgiving and a Christmas one ready to quilt. I always get bogged down when it is time to quilt. I'm still not confident in that step.
    Old 10-14-2012, 12:55 PM

Just make doubly sure that you set the pictures the way the manufacutrer says . i made a Stanley Cup picture quilt for my daughter and when it was washed we lost all the pictures. Good luck and best stitches
    Old 10-14-2012, 01:03 PM

What a great project! I can't imagine the amount of math required to put together a bunch of different-sized blocks. You're a much better woman than me.
    Old 10-14-2012, 01:29 PM

I'm working with some fat quarters from "The Bees Knees" line. I'm going to try to make a quilt with the fabrics. I had ordered a fat quarter bundle and a jelly roll of the same fabric line, and will use the jelly roll pieces for the sashing and border. Not sure what I'll be using for the backing, but I do have other bee fabric on hand.
    Old 10-14-2012, 01:40 PM

wow they are turning out really well will make nice blocks for a quilt.
    Old 10-14-2012, 03:04 PM

This was a memory quilt I made for my MIL with all different sized photo's it was tricky but I got there in the end
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...er-t71167.html
    Good luck with yours, it's looking great so far
    Old 10-14-2012, 07:48 PM

I read on the package that you're not supposed to wash the project. I'll make sure that the mom knows but once she gives it to her daughter, all bets are off. I may write that on the back, just to make sure I cover my responsibility.
    Old 10-14-2012, 08:08 PM

I am finishing the "I Spy" hexagon quilt that I started for a new born several years ago - he has a younger brother now.
    During the time to keep me in the room, I am cutting out a "Trip Around the World" quilt using Halloween fabric. It was originally thought it would help use up my stash but I had to go buy some because too many of the fabrics in my stash were not big enough. I should be able to put the sandwich together tomorrow and start quilting the "I Spy" no later than Wednesday.