• DH's First Sewing Project Ever >
  • DH's First Sewing Project Ever

• DH's First Sewing Project Ever

Old 06-29-2009, 08:41 AM

Nice job, Doyle!
    Old 06-29-2009, 08:48 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Wow that's scary! at how good he did, I mean; Kind of a mixed blessing - like Loretta I like 'my space' can't stand the thought of DH rooting in my stash BUT the sharing aspect must be so cool! I consult hubby on layouts, fabric combos etc - he's got a very good eye, but I'm not sure I'd want him going further than that! You're absolutely right to get him his own tools and stuff! Hmmm, I'll have to chew this one over some more, would it be a good or bad thing if my DH started quilting? LOL
    Old 06-29-2009, 09:57 AM

Good thing that design wall has 2 panels....<wink>
    he did an awesome job.. how's it going .. is he still interested?
    Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 AM

He did a fabulous job! My husband wouldn't get near the sewing machine! I'm so thrilled for you that he wants to share your passion! You just need to buy yourself a new machine YEAH!
    Old 06-29-2009, 11:26 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Originally Posted by Roben
    I think I've been upstaged, have lost one of my sewing machines, and overall just created a monster! DH - Mr. lead-man journeyman electrician, woodworker, former oil well driller, never met a power tool or a piece of heavy equipment he didn't immediately bond with - decided he wanted to try paper piecing a Mariner's Compass Block after he saw my first one.

Off we went to the fabric store Friday night. He picked out his fabrics (the girls and I had to steer him just a little) and those girls at the store had a ball helping him. We had so much fun; I kept asking him if I could finish picking the fabrics for *my* quilt yet, and the girls just roared.

He started about 4 yesterday afternoon, and finished up about 1 am. He didn't think to stop to eat (a minor miracle for him!) I managed to catch a picture of him in the act, and his finished block. He's thinking about the blues to border the block, but he hasn't decided yet.

(I'm thrilled to be able to share this passion with him, but let's not tell him that just yet - I'm having a hard enough time trying to get my sewing machine back!)
    Robyn, WOW what a beautiful job he did. I somehow missed this post and only found it because I was looking at the design wall your DH built for you and you added the link to here. Your DH did an unbelievable job on the star. I have wanted to do one for ages but am too chicken. I am so happy for you that he shares this passion with you. More men should quilt. He can keep his Man Card too. As far as I am concerned this has not effected his MC status at all, LOL.
    Old 06-29-2009, 04:22 PM

Roben, I want you to know I showed my husband this thread. He was soooo impressed with what your husband did. :shock: Maybe this has inspired him to try it himself! :shock: I told him he'd love it, but he could not share my machine.
    Old 06-29-2009, 05:05 PM

What the heck is a "Man Card"? I just checked my wallet and I know I must have misplaced it.

I think rule number 1 is never let your husband borrow your sewing machine. Let him get his own. I think a real man uses a Bernina 830 (the original, not the new one) or an Elna (real men use the blue Super) (real real men use an old green Supermatic) <Grunts>.

And I too have never met a power tool I couldn't relate to. Happiness is a warm angle grinder.

tim in san jose
    Old 06-29-2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
    What the heck is an angle grinder?
    More fun than a barrel of monkeys. Especially when you put the chain saw attachment on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_grinder

http://toolmonger.com/2007/07/16/cha...angle-grinder/

tim in san jose
    Old 06-29-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
    Whew! I thought there was yet another new quilting gadget I would have to buy! LOL!
    It is a quilting gadget. I used mine to even out the rails for my long arm quilting frame.

You just never know.

tim in san jose
    Old 06-29-2009, 05:19 PM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    What the heck is a "Man Card"? I just checked my wallet and I know I must have misplaced it.

I think rule number 1 is never let your husband borrow your sewing machine. Let him get his own. I think a real man uses a Bernina 830 (the original, not the new one) or an Elna (real men use the blue Super) (real real men use an old green Supermatic) <Grunts>.

And I too have never met a power tool I couldn't relate to. Happiness is a warm angle grinder.

tim in san jose
    Tim, read Robyns last post on her design wall in the thread below
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/21991.page