Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • dimmer switches.. who knew >
  • dimmer switches.. who knew

• dimmer switches.. who knew

Old 08-04-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris
    I've been wracking my brain, trying to come up with a way to fix my foot pedal so that it will only go down part way for when I FMQ. Hadn't come up with any solution yet. And here you are, giving me just what I need! I can't thank you enough. This should be a big help.

Sue
    I just finished doing a quilt for gr. son that I had to tear out and restitch.. why did I tear out? because my darn machine goes to fast for me and it looked like crap !!!
    the new baseball designs that I put in are by no means the best in the west...BUT IT IS PERFECT FOR ME....lol
    this is the BEST thing ever and I LOVE IT....
    just saying............................................ .....................
    oh.. and the new vinyl slider made it all complete... yay me...
    Old 08-04-2011, 03:49 PM

wow, who knew this would work? great tip!
    Old 08-04-2011, 04:54 PM

Very clever!
    Old 08-04-2011, 06:19 PM

I'm going to pass this on to some of my students in a class I'm teaching. My machines are newer and have a sliding speed control already on it. They've been fighting to use my machine because the other two older ones don't have this feature. They are still practicing quarter inch seams and they are having a lot of trouble keeping it together when the machine takes off!
    Old 08-05-2011, 09:36 AM

Thank you so much for posting this idea!! I am going to try this.
    Old 08-05-2011, 09:41 AM

What a great idea, I have a single speed motor on my old Singer treadle. I only use it to sew heavy fabrics, like canvas and like you it can just take off on me. I sure will pick up a dimmer and give it a try.
    Old 08-05-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by cheaha39
    What a great idea, I have a single speed motor on my old Singer treadle. I only use it to sew heavy fabrics, like canvas and like you it can just take off on me. I sure will pick up a dimmer and give it a try.
    Please be careful with that. If it is truly a single-speed motor you can do some serious damage trying to "dim" it.
    Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
    Keep in mind, there are certain things that should not be put on a dimmer. Most fluorescent or arc-type light bulbs will blow if they're dimmed--and they could take the light fixture and/or the switch with them. They have to be specially designed for dimming. This also goes for three-way lamps; don't put a non-dimmable fluorescent bulb into a lamp with a three-way switch. At best, you'll have a burned-out light; at worst, you could have a fire on your hands.

Also, one-speed motors should never be put on a dimmer, or they'll burn out. Most sewing machines are variable-speed motors, so that's fine. The foot pedal is just a dimmer of sorts, after all. I do like the idea of putting a manual dimmer on the machine--it's especially useful for those with limited mobility or sensation in their feet.
    This was one of the things I was wondering about. My husband is now deceased, but he was careful even about the length of extension cords because the longer they are the more power is diminished at the motor. I think it is a great idea if there is no risk of damaging my sewing machine motor
    Old 08-05-2011, 10:11 AM

Good Morning,
    I contacted my LQS sewing machine repairman, whom in turn contacted the school where they instruct in sewing machines. The following is the instructors response...

"You are right! She can add the dimmer to any non-electronic machine and it will work just fine. I would recommend using plugs to the foot control cord only that way the light is not affected. As it says in the post, on older machines with a carbon foot control, the foot control is the equivalent of a dimmer.

You may want to check her Janome foot control to be sure it is working well and offers a full range of speed from starting to full (quite often the carbon will wear and the machine will jump to full speed from half speed)

Hope this helps,"
    Old 08-05-2011, 10:35 AM

boo ya !! I don't use the machines light when I am using the dimmer..
    I used it last night to do my applique and it was the bomb !! I am very happy with the results of this.