Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Do You Think This Border is Overwhelming? >
  • Do You Think This Border is Overwhelming?

• Do You Think This Border is Overwhelming?

Old 07-19-2013, 03:05 PM
    yel

i would like to see a tone on tone something in the milk chocolate to dark dark chocolate next to the blocks just for fun.....i don't think i would go so far to a solid on it but i am not crazy about the one on it
    Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 PM

This is the problem with asking opinions about a finished quilt on a forum like this and I don't mean this in a bad way, but people are telling you how they would have done it and then it would not be "your quilt". Your quilt is beautiful and reflects you. Your daughter will love it because you made it for her.
    Old 07-19-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by playswithcolor
    Hi, I don't want to discourage your attempt at using piping.... that said, piping on a quilt is usually small, with a very thin cord in it. Susan Cleveland has a book and ruler out that are great.

If it were mine.... I would audition a small back border to replace the solid blue. If I had enough of the sashing fabric I would try that for the outer border. This would leave some room for curvy quilting that would balance the geometric pieced center. This is only what I would do... it's your quilt but you did ask for opinions
    I did use Susan Cleveland's ruler, using a slightly fatter cording than came with the book/ruler and it appears to be an o.k. size; however, even though I used a piping foot, I had trouble with seam allowances accuracy and I'm a bit of an accuracy nut, so that didn't go over well with me.

Last edited by weezie; 07-19-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    Old 07-19-2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by suern3
    This is the problem with asking opinions about a finished quilt on a forum like this and I don't mean this in a bad way, but people are telling you how they would have done it and then it would not be "your quilt". Your quilt is beautiful and reflects you. Your daughter will love it because you made it for her.
    True and I knew that when I decided to post the question. The reason I asked is that I was really wondering if I was suffering from "overkill" as you do sometimes finishing a quilt top that's been in the works for a long time, or if I had really made a poor choice for border fabric. Trust me when I say that I auditioned a LOT of fabric, both for the narrow border and the wide, including solids, browns, lights, darks, mediums, etc.; nothing looked right until I put the blue that you see up against the blocks with the lt. purple or dk. lavender?? narrow border. The purple/lavender picks up the lavender tinted grey in the sashing. I have 2 cushions to go with, but am doing the binding on those yet before they get their pictures taken.

I appreciate each and every response and thank you for your time and thoughts and, most especially, for the compliments.

Last edited by weezie; 07-19-2013 at 04:12 PM.
    Old 07-19-2013, 04:52 PM
    Power Poster

I love your beautiful quilt the way it is, and what's most important is how much your daughter will love it. It's ok to ask for ideas, but it's your quilt.
    Old 07-19-2013, 04:54 PM
    Power Poster

I think it's a beautiful quilt, whatever you decide. It might help to view the quilt on the bed rather than all stretched out. As you say, the border will have a different appearance then.
    Old 07-19-2013, 04:55 PM

I like Lori's idea.The fabric brings out the blue in some of the blocks but could be skinnier. Wtth something else as the final border. Good luck'
    Old 07-19-2013, 05:26 PM
    Power Poster

It does seem to be overwhelming.
    Old 07-20-2013, 02:02 AM

I think it is fine.
    Old 07-20-2013, 02:13 AM
    Power Poster

Your quilt is fabulous. The border, not so much on this one. How about trying the color that your sashing star points are made from. It will make the whole quilt stand up. This quilt is beautiful.
    peace