Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Don't you just love the postman?! >
  • Don't you just love the postman?!

• Don't you just love the postman?!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
    Just seen this in the jan-feb issue of quiltmania, which I take on sub - http://www.quiltmania.com/pages/accu...d_magazine=142

they're giving the instructions in stages through a few issues - thought it would suit these fabrics? Whant do you think? Too ambitious? I would hand piece!

I also need 8 yards of cream for the background....anyone seen anything cheap online recently? The creams are so rarely on sale!

K x
    K-I think your fabrics will be beautiful for this quilt!! I love stars and baskets!! I have not seen that issue in the states yet. I just bought issue #68 2 weeks ago. I was drawn to the quilt on the cover. I think I am going to make it--but just one block (which is 36" square) and have a wall hanging. I will be on the look out for some cream for you.
    Old 02-16-2009, 12:46 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

I just bought issue #68 2 weeks ago. I was drawn to the quilt on the cover. I think I am going to make it--but just one block (which is 36" square) and have a wall hanging.
    That'll look great Marcia, look forward to seeing it! :D

I will be on the look out for some cream for you.
    Cheers Mate!! :wink: :D

K x
    Old 02-16-2009, 12:55 AM
    Izy

K....that will be a most beautiful quilt, and you intend to hand piece it all....hats off to you girl, I don't think I could be that brave.....yet!! Maybe in a few years time, how long have you been quilting???? :D
    Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Izy, I started 'patchworking' aged about 8 - my Mum made all my dresses when I was ickle and used to give me the scraps. And i learnt EPP at school; but I didn't really get serious until I came to France 4 years ago and had more time;

I'm really enjoying all the new techniques I'v learnt (d9p et al!!!) but I think EPP will always be my first love. I've got a Granny's Flower Garden on the go at the moment and I like the 'pick up and put downability' of it; you can just baste a few hexs or make a rosette in any free few minutes you've got! I'm TRYING to NOT start the Stars and Baskets til I've finished that but self-discipline is NOT a strong point, so we'll see!

K x
    Old 02-16-2009, 01:27 AM
    Izy

K... I too love EPP, most of my first sampler blocks were done this way, I just drew out the block at finished size, cut the pieces up and ta dah...it came out to size :D

I am getting much better at my machine piecing now, and like the speed, as I am known to be a tad impatient....although it took me 2 years nearly to finish the sampler quilt but only because I got distracted doing other projects tee hee, so no use in asking me to discipline you on that score :lol:

I try not to have too many projects on the go, and presently have maybe 3 ufo's....not bad...but could get worse :lol:
    Old 02-16-2009, 01:31 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

That's what I love about EPP - as long as your papers are 'true' you don't have to be too precise anywhere else - it all comes out good! And since I've discovered ready made, die-cut hexs at tuppence ha'penny for about 3 million on the net, there's no stopping me!!!

K x
    Old 02-16-2009, 01:35 AM
    Izy

I found a site with lots of different graphics you can resize them and save them, then just print them off :D

Here in Spain all the kids use squared paper for schooling...seems really strange to me, but I suppose it helps keep your writing neat...but I found pads that are .5 centimetres...so it's quite simple to do. :D
    Old 02-16-2009, 01:47 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

They use squared paper a lot in France as well but I'm sorry I just can't get on with those cms - Hans thinks I'm a complete twit and is always telling me how much BETTER and mre accurate metric is and reminding me even in UK we've had it for yonks! But feet and inches are much FRIENDLIER somehow!

K x
    Old 02-16-2009, 01:50 AM
    Izy

Well if you used a .5cm for your seam allowance it comes out a scant quarter inch so I found...easier to see on the ruler too!! All my rulers are metric...but I use the imperial side of my board...maybe my split personality comes in useful...I use my left hand alot too.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 02-16-2009, 01:55 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Oh, top tip Izy, I was having trouble with my 'scant' quarter inches - they always come out 'generous' - just my big-hearted nature I s'pose!!!

You're SOOOOO gemini!!!

K x