Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Downy Charity Quilts for kids - Includes Link to Free Kits - >
  • Downy Charity Quilts for kids - Includes Link to Free Kits -

• Downy Charity Quilts for kids - Includes Link to Free Kits -

Old 11-06-2009, 07:32 PM

I just ordered mine tonight. Will receive it within 2 weeks. Thanks for the info.
    Old 11-06-2009, 07:51 PM

Hi Everyone

Could some of you tell me how you are finishing your quilt? Are you putting binding on it or doing it pillow case style? I'm not sure which way to go. I thought about doing it pillow case style but I can't seem to understand how that it done. Do you sew all around the quilt leaving a opening to turn and then quilt it together? Any help would be appreciated. Where I live I can only get dial up so watching anything on you tube is out of the question. I don't have the patience to wait for it.

Thanks, Kristina
    Old 11-06-2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dingle
    Hi Everyone

Could some of you tell me how you are finishing your quilt? Are you putting binding on it or doing it pillow case style? I'm not sure which way to go. I thought about doing it pillow case style but I can't seem to understand how that it done. Do you sew all around the quilt leaving a opening to turn and then quilt it together? Any help would be appreciated. Where I live I can only get dial up so watching anything on you tube is out of the question. I don't have the patience to wait for it.

Thanks, Kristina
    Pillow case style is quite easy....sew all around, leave about 10 inches to turn in inside out and sew the opening closed. I usually press the opening and use fusible tape, close it and then sew about 1/4 to 1/2 inch all around the top side of the quilt to really secure it. I use this method when I make quillows. Hope it helps.
    Sharon
    Old 11-06-2009, 08:32 PM

Wow what a great cause I just signed up, can't wait to get started!!!!!!!
    Old 11-06-2009, 09:14 PM

On your advice...I used a friends computer which is only about a month old and guess what??? lol It still won't work for me....so as I've said before....another time I guess I will help out. Hugs and thank you again for the advice.
    Old 11-06-2009, 09:58 PM

mytwopals, I just got my kit and it's the same as yours!! I'm so thrilled about this project. I can see this getting a bit adictive. :D

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I've sent a few more quilty friends to this site already for kits and have asked them to join in on the thread here about the quilts they make. Yet another reason to adore this board. Thanks admin!!!
    Old 11-06-2009, 10:20 PM

The pillowcase method means you'll act as though your quilt is a giant pillowcase, leaving an opening on one side that's big enough to turn everything inside out. You can do right side to right side and if you like, add batting to one of the pieces first, making sure it's on the top of your sandwich so once it's turned it's hidden in the middle. If this is confusing, pm me and I'll see if I can clarify.

For the next part, you can begin on any of the seams this is just to give you a good idea of the process. The amount of space between your start and finished seams depends on the thickness of the fabrics and batting. Just make sure you give yourself enough room or it's a struggle to get everything back out of the opening.

Once you have a partial seam at the top, around side one, the bottom, side two and a partial at the top, turn it right sides out and then blind stitch the top. Since the instructions say machine only and it's easier :D *bonus* :!: you can top stitch over the rest of your seam to close.

I always use bias double binding, so I'll probably stick to that. Have fun with your quilt!!!!
    Old 11-07-2009, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by tigger5464
    On your advice...I used a friends computer which is only about a month old and guess what??? lol It still won't work for me....so as I've said before....another time I guess I will help out. Hugs and thank you again for the advice.
    Have you thought about calling them? or having your friend order one for you? I ordered one for one of my students and she got it with no problem. Just a thought.
    Old 11-07-2009, 04:56 AM

I just love the dalmations/fire truck prints!!! I have my kit assembled/quilted, just needs binding. Same with my 2nd one I'm sending along. I want to do more, but probably won't be able to until after Christmas. I have to finish those projects too.
    Old 11-07-2009, 09:57 AM

Thanks so much for the information! I just ordered my first one. I have loads of baby quilt material!