Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Fabric storage boards >
  • Fabric storage boards

• Fabric storage boards

Old 04-17-2010, 08:59 AM

I have done this also and just reallylike how it has turned out! It's my own fabric store in my sewing room and it's so pretty to look at. I had my local plastic shop cut mine (only because I wanted them now!) and he charged me .25cents a piece. It was well worth it so I picked up 96 more.

I have seen Dunster's log cabin in person! It is absolutely stunning! The OR/WA quilters get together every other month and she brought it to the gathering.

To make them tight I wrap my boards on my bed or in my hall way. The force of the bedspread or the rug helps me to keep it tighter. I also when wrapping push the board to me using my fingertips on the side that is farthest from me. Hope that makes sense. I also secure using a bolt buddy. I'm trying not to wrap anything bigger than 5 yards on my little bolts. They seem to get bulky and loose and I'm also very limited to shelf space right now.
    Old 04-17-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlady
    Originally Posted by Lilaciris
    I don't know about the rest of you but quilting is not my only craft. I had my material stored on wire racks but now I am re-arranging everything.

I have a bookshelf behind my sewing area that I kept my patterns and quilt books on and have now decided to put my material there. I don't have a very large stash, so it will work out perfectly.

I had originally cut the sheets to be 8" x 11 3/4", but now that I have actually measured the shelves, I can go with a larger size. I can actually fit a 14" tall sheet on 2 of the shelves.

Too bad I didn't find that out before I cut my sheet. Oh well, I'm going back for a couple more.

One question for those of you that are trying this, do you find that your material slides down the sheets, instead of staying sort of centered on them? Have any of you come up with any ideas to keep them from sliding?
    Just put a couple of small piece of painters tape on the raw edge (dont' tape a folded edge) when you first start the wrap. If you just catch the edge in a couple places you shouldn't ruin any usable material.
    That's a great idea. Thanks
    Old 04-18-2010, 11:32 PM
    Google Goddess

what a great idea
    Old 05-27-2010, 03:47 PM
    Google Goddess

awesome idea thanks for sharing
    Old 05-27-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by wesing
    Just to save some more $, you can put multiple fabrics on one card. Lay them on top of one another so the outside ends are flush. Fold them onto the card, and when you get near the end, move all but the bottom fabric to the side. Fold the bottom fabric at 45 degrees until the end is even with the edge nearest you. Fold the next one at 45 degrees, but don't bring the end all the way to the edge of the fabric. Fold the next a little further until you get to the top. When you wrap the ends around the card, you'll be able to see all the fabrics on that card. We do this when the fabrics belong together for a project. You can even tuck the instructions into the fold to keep the whole project together.

Darren
    Using my best Yoda voice "How clever, you are!"
    Old 05-27-2010, 04:02 PM

I have found that cutting the plastic is a bear. My sister owns a graphics shop and has the large plastic sheets. Last month, my sister and I went to a quilt expo and sold these boards that she had cut up using her sign-shop tools. She sold out!

I am wondering how much it costs for one of the sheets at another place. My sister buys $1000.00 worth of board at a time so she can make it cost-effective.

If you don't want to cut them up... http://www.quiltorganizers.com

These are fat quarters, up to one yard of fabric
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]74436[/ATTACH]

This is the corner of my sewing room.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]74437[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-74431.jpe   attachment-74432.jpe  
    Old 08-16-2010, 09:07 PM

that is beautiful. I went to a sign company and bought 2 sheets and then I saw that he had a lot of small pieces just laying around. I told him I could use them and he says he has to burn them so was happy to put them aside for me and I can pick them up free whenever I need them.
    Old 08-17-2010, 09:31 AM

To hold the fabric on the boards go to a store like Dollar Tree and buy the covered bands for making pony tails in your hair. Depending on the size you can get 25 to 50 for $1.00.
    Old 08-17-2010, 09:39 AM

Are these boards acid-free boards?
    Old 08-17-2010, 10:23 AM

There is a manufacturer in my area that sells that board new. I get it for about $12 for a 4x8 sheet. They will even cut it into strips for me to minimize my cutting. I also found a guy that recycles the same board in black that I use for cloth that I have washed so I can tell at a glance which is washed and which is not. The black board is used for packing in electronics for its lack of conductivity(lack of static electricity). I haven't cut the black board yet but it comes in about a 45 by 14 inch size for $4 each, less if you buy in quantity.
    I hope this helps.
    Faith