Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Family Tree Quilted Wall Hanging >
  • Family Tree Quilted Wall Hanging

• Family Tree Quilted Wall Hanging

Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 PM

wow, that is gorgeous. Great job! It looks like you embroidered the names on. Just wondering, did you do this by hand or machine. If you did it by machine did you do it after the leaves, etc. were already on or did you do them before and then attach the leaves.
    Old 05-19-2009, 06:18 AM
    Banned

What a cool idea. I really like it. GREAT JOB!
    Old 05-19-2009, 06:24 AM

wow, that is gorgeous. Great job! It looks like you embroidered the names on. Just wondering, did you do this by hand or machine. If you did it by machine did you do it after the leaves, etc. were already on or did you do them before and then attach the leaves.
    raksmum & Bevanger,

Thank you.
    I hand embroidered all of the names. The leaves are too small to have used anything fancier than a simple backstitch. I embroidered everything on the leaf fabric first, so I could use the hoop, then cut the leaves out and appliqued onto the background fabric. About midway through the project I read about some better applique techniques; now of course I wish I had done it differently.
    Old 05-19-2009, 06:27 AM

My what a work of art....totally awesome!...:-)
    Old 05-19-2009, 06:32 AM

gcathie,

Thanks to you, too!

I still haven't heard if anyone else on this board has made their own family tree!
    Old 05-19-2009, 07:02 AM

i have NOT made a family tree quilt, but your's really has inspired me - except for that whole hand embroidery thing - SCARY!

It truly is beautiful!
    Old 05-19-2009, 10:35 AM

i have NOT made a family tree quilt, but your's really has inspired me - except for that whole hand embroidery thing - SCARY!

It truly is beautiful!
    mamatobugboo,
    Thank you for the compliment.
    Are you one of the lucky ladies with a sewing machine that does embroidery? That would sure open up possibilities for this type of project. On the other hand, I think my family will appreciate the hand work...it makes it more personal -- more of an heirloom.
    Old 05-19-2009, 10:51 AM
    Power Poster

The quilt is beautiful. I am not so much into hand work so it would be done by machine if I were to do one.

My mom did a family tree quilt, only she didn't use a tree for it. She used a rainbow, Grandma and grandpa were on the bottom and each generation went up a color, and the higher the color the bigger it is to accomidate the extra people. She put pictures of everyone on with dates that she printed off on her computer. She origionally did it for my grandfather that was having a hard time keeping the hords of people straight, nothing seemed easy for him after he lost his site, especially when trying to tell other people. She is in the process of updating it now. There has been several additions since she first did it. I don't have a picture of it. But sure she will take one when she is done.
    Old 05-19-2009, 10:55 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

What a beautiful way to remember the generations of your family. Really lovely quilt.
    Old 05-19-2009, 10:58 AM

The quilt is beautiful. I am not so much into hand work so it would be done by machine if I were to do one.

My mom did a family tree quilt, only she didn't use a tree for it. She used a rainbow, Grandma and grandpa were on the bottom and each generation went up a color, and the higher the color the bigger it is to accomidate the extra people. She put pictures of everyone on with dates that she printed off on her computer. She origionally did it for my grandfather that was having a hard time keeping the hords of people straight, nothing seemed easy for him after he lost his site, especially when trying to tell other people. She is in the process of updating it now. There has been several additions since she first did it. I don't have a picture of it. But sure she will take one when she is done.
    cutebuns,
    Please do post a picture when you can...the rainbow idea is something I never would have thought of. Is it a full size quilt?