Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Farmers Market quilt top - ?s on how to border >
  • Farmers Market quilt top - ?s on how to border

• Farmers Market quilt top - ?s on how to border

Old 01-15-2011, 09:43 AM

This is my newest UFO to get put together! It's using the Farmers Market line and the pattern "Jungle Fever" that my LQS created. Since it's their (copyrighted) pattern, I can't share it.

I have the center put together (picture 1) and trying to figure out how to border. When I was making the blocks, because of how they're constructed, I had enough little triangles to make the little pin wheels in the 2nd picture. I have them sewn in pairs, but not all together, so first question is - pin wheels or the opposite to pinwheels one?

I want to make sure the pinwheel pieces get in this quilt since I don't need 30 of these little guys lying around. My first thought was to do an inner border of a solidy color, then a border with the pinwheels, spacing them out evenly with the solidy color in between, and then another border with the same solidy color (example of a diff quilt I did this with in the 3rd picture). I'm thinking white on white...?? And if I do that, should the 1st and 3rd border will skinnier than the pinwheel one, or (roughly) the same size?

I had bought the Farmers Market piece with all the veggies (4th picture), thinking it might work. DH thinks it might be too busy.

So... how would you finish it??

Quilt top
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]160687[/ATTACH]

Little blocks
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]160688[/ATTACH]

Possible border fabric that most likely will be too busy
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]160689[/ATTACH]

Border I'm thinking of (from a previous quilt)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]160690[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-160682.jpe   attachment-160683.jpe   attachment-160684.jpe   attachment-160685.jpe  
    Old 01-15-2011, 09:52 AM
    Power Poster

I like your border idea with the little pinwheel blocks. The solid strips would frame the center and "contain" it. Great quilt!

I definitely prefer the pinwheels, as they "echo" the main block.

Added: Depending on how many little pinwheel blocks you have, they wouldn't necessarily have to be spread out equally all around the edge. Perhaps just an equal number centered on each edge, or grouped around each corner.

Oops! Didn't see you were thinking of white for the border. My preference is for black.
    Old 01-15-2011, 09:53 AM

I like your idea as in the last quilt but I think a darker TOT than white maybe a cream or light tan. cute quilt btw
    Old 01-15-2011, 09:53 AM

I say the black border with squares...OOOOORRRR

You could make a thin black border and then a wider sashing in the multi-fruits, that way it ties together all the individual fruits in the quilt? Then black binding?
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:04 AM

I totally agree with prism99
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    Added: Depending on how many little pinwheel blocks you have, they wouldn't necessarily have to be spread out equally all around the edge. Perhaps just an equal number centered on each edge, or grouped around each corner.
    I have 30 of them, one for each block. I'm worried that if I group them around the corner or center them around the edges, there will only be a little space without the blocks and it might look silly. I measured and to group around the corners, there would be about one full block width without anything and the rest would have blocks. So I think I have too many for that, but I am insisting on using all of them, so I can't just use some.
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    I say the black border with squares...OOOOORRRR

You could make a thin black border and then a wider sashing in the multi-fruits, that way it ties together all the individual fruits in the quilt? Then black binding?
    Would the pinwheels be worked in?
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
    I like your idea as in the last quilt but I think a darker TOT than white maybe a cream or light tan. cute quilt btw
    Black is my usual border of choice, so the white on white/etc is all new to me (I have a closet full of fabric and, at most, 1.5 yards is anything resembling white). Are you able to explain to me why you think cream would look better? If it's just a personal preference, cool, but if there's something you could teach me about picking white/cream/etc, that would be greatly appreciated!
    Old 01-15-2011, 11:14 AM

I agree with this post. Definitely black in the border. White doesn't seem to go with the rest of the quilt.
    Old 01-15-2011, 11:17 AM

Black border for sure. great looking quilt. one of the best ways that I have seen that fabric used.