Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Feathered Star... version 2 >
  • Feathered Star... version 2

• Feathered Star... version 2

Old 04-07-2009, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    Tim, if I had that many to work on I'm afraid that I would just curl into a ball and whimper.... or start another one to take my mind off it.
    *L*
    My studio is in a small back house. Upstairs. If I want to pretend it doesn't exist, I can do that for months at a time. Nothing ever HAS to get done. It is my refuge and when I feel like working on any one particular project, it's a matter of changing bobbin thread. Right now the SW Medallion quilt is the most interesting, the wedding quilt needs to be done by October, and my daughters quilt needs to be finished by next February. Not a lot of pressure (If I keep from starting anything new). When they are done, I would like to complete (never use the 'F' word) my two queen sized quilts before it gets cold (as cold as it gets here in the valley) next fall.

There really isn't any pressure, I use my Q space as an escape from dogs, cats, birds, kids, etc.

tim in san jose
    Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 PM

No, nothing ever HAS to get done, just a desire to get a creation completed and see it become what you imagined.

A little bit of progress this evening. Got all of the small stars sewn together and sewn onto first border and got one of the second border sides sewn on. Now that I know where the pattern placement is the other 3 will be easier to do.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-25953.jpe   attachment-25954.jpe  
    Old 04-07-2009, 11:13 PM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Pam that is looking beautiful; I have to say I like the blue - I think I would have been afraid to use it but it really brings the quilt alive! As for the LCs, as Patti said, it's hard for us to say when we can't see the fabric in reality but your eye is impeccable so whatever you chose to do will be fantastic!

K x
    Old 04-07-2009, 11:16 PM

That's absolutely stunning!

I love the colours, they work so well. Very nice job!
    Old 04-08-2009, 05:25 AM
    Power Poster

Its really coming together!!!! I think I'm more excited about it than you are!
    Old 04-08-2009, 06:22 AM

Hmmm.... I just thought of something. When doing the larger stars, that are really flying geese, I am sewing point-to-point on the colored square and then cutting off the excess. I have a big stack of HSTs that are a bunch of pairs of a color and a beige. I've been keeping them neatly stacked thinking I might be able to use them sometime.

Every star gives me 8 of these pairs, total of 160 pairs, so it might be possible to use them as a border. At least I have another option if the LCs don't work out.
    Old 04-08-2009, 06:57 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    Hmmm.... I just thought of something. When doing the larger stars, that are really flying geese, I am sewing point-to-point on the colored square and then cutting off the excess. I have a big stack of HSTs that are a bunch of pairs of a color and a beige. I've been keeping them neatly stacked thinking I might be able to use them sometime.

Every star gives me 8 of these pairs, total of 160 pairs, so it might be possible to use them as a border. At least I have another option if the LCs don't work out.
    Now that is a great idea! But I'm still hoping on the LCs! :D

K x
    Old 04-08-2009, 07:24 AM

I just took another look at the LCs... I guess they're ok and they're almost done too.

Thinking of the HSTs for the border gave me an idea about a border on the Giant Dahlia. I want to do a white border, like the background, all around and a flower and ribbon quilting stencil I ordered. I don't want to do the traditional angled square border that I usually see. The white would be very plain though but I thought... how about using the template for the petal in the Dahlia and doing a prairie point with it in the medium blue? It would continue the petals out to the edge.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-25987.jpe  
    Old 04-08-2009, 08:17 AM

I did that on a 'Wild Goose' quilt, and it worked well. Kept everything together and satisfied my 'Don't ever throw anything away nature.' I sewed the HSTs together as I sewed the 'real' wild geese together, so the HSTs were ready to go in the border when I was finished.
    Old 04-08-2009, 08:31 AM

Looking good, Pam!! You really must dream about quilting too--because one idea on your FS quilt now has given you an idea for your dahlia quilt!!!! You are toooooo funny!!!