Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Finally Finished Funky Flawed French Braid Top >
  • Finally Finished Funky Flawed French Braid Top

• Finally Finished Funky Flawed French Braid Top

Old 05-12-2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Originally Posted by GrammaNancy
    looks beautiful to me. lots of work though.
    Actually, No Gramms, they are very simple to make and the sewing goes fast. Get the book and try a small one. You will be hooked. Mine is only half done yet it is one of the most beautiful tops I have done.

I know why people use Bali pop strips but the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages. You can't wash them before assembly so you always run the risk of bleed. Now if some company would sell prewashed jelly rolls (fabric washed before they cut them) that would be a great idea.

Nice work on the quilt. You are almost done. As one of my coworkers would say... Jist git her done.

tim in san jose
    Shout makes a sheet product that traps the dye of running fabric. I always use this product when I wash a quilt for the first time. If it has lots of color I may use up to 3 sheets. It sells in the washer detergent aisle, at my Walmart for $3.43 for 24 sheets. You just throw them in the washer with your quilt and a mild detergent. If I don't wash a quilt before I give it as a gift I always include a couple of these sheets with instructions for the first time wash.
    Old 05-12-2010, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Kellie G
    Shout makes a sheet product that traps the dye of running fabric. I always use this product when I wash a quilt for the first time. If it has lots of color I may use up to 3 sheets. It sells in the washer detergent aisle, at my Walmart for $3.43 for 24 sheets. You just throw them in the washer with your quilt and a mild detergent. If I don't wash a quilt before I give it as a gift I always include a couple of these sheets with instructions for the first time wash.
    I have some of those stashed in the box with the quilt top, binding, and backing. I know there's at least 1 "bleeder" in that quilt because I soaked scraps of all the colors in some cool water and the water turned rust colored, although I did not see any damage to the other colors that I soaked along with it. It may be only the dark rust that runs; regardless, I'm hoping the color catcher sheets work. I'm hoping to find a clever way to wash just the top before I ever sandwich & quilt it; if it's going to bleed, I want it to be BEFORE I quilt it. The backing looks like a bleeder, too, so I have to wash it by itself with SHOUT sheets.
    Old 05-12-2010, 07:08 AM

You did a great job on this quilt. It is lovely. Maybe taking a break from it is a good idea. Once you are finished with it, I am sure you will love it. Just don't put it away for too long! I will be waiting to see it when it is finished.
    Old 05-12-2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kellie G
    I guess everyone has their own level of comfort. I work too hard on a quilt top to take that chance. It's just as easy to prewash (with a white terricloth cleaning rag) then do a heavy duty starch and know the fabrics are not going to waste a hundred hours ( I sew slow!) of my time by screwing up the the one next to them.

tim in san jose
    Old 05-12-2010, 02:15 PM

I truely understand where youre coming from$$$$$$$ I took an class in this and mercy me kept buying and then I did it wrong so I had to take it apart, all the rows were the same lol what a fun job I had going but it was done and the right way mine was all baticks
    Old 05-12-2010, 03:11 PM

I do not see any flaws either. All I see is a beautiful quilt top that was a lot of work. Sometimes when I have had a lot of "trying" times making something, I have to put it up for a while. It is like a child that has been bad, you both need time out. Good Luck with it and thanks for sharing.
    Old 05-12-2010, 03:16 PM
    Power Poster

Oh my! I love your quilt colors. Put it away for awhile and when you get it back out you will see it really is very nice. I'm not just saying that to make you feel better either. It is a nice looking quilt.
    Old 05-12-2010, 04:22 PM

I'm making the same quilt and I'm making many mistakes. Instead of marking the seam allowance and then sewing it, I cut all the braids off and now I don't know if I'm going to be able to sew without having puckers all over..I should have read the instructions more clearly first and then I think it would have been much easier to sew the braids to the seperators. Oh well, live and learn..I will keep you informed on how the quilt is coming along.
    Old 05-12-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shermy
    I'm making the same quilt and I'm making many mistakes. Instead of marking the seam allowance and then sewing it, I cut all the braids off and now I don't know if I'm going to be able to sew without having puckers all over..I should have read the instructions more clearly first and then I think it would have been much easier to sew the braids to the seperators. Oh well, live and learn..I will keep you informed on how the quilt is coming along.
    I think the book mentioned stay stitching if doing the other style without the separators. Maybe that would help in your situation.
    Old 05-12-2010, 04:44 PM

Your being way to hard on your self. Its a really beautiful quilt and you should be proud of your self :thumbup: