Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • A finished Quilt for A Friend >
  • A finished Quilt for A Friend

• A finished Quilt for A Friend

Old 10-15-2009, 06:10 PM

beauitful i love your cheerful colors, and i like your quilt lable how did you make it please tell
    Old 10-15-2009, 06:14 PM

How beautiful. Wow. Neat pattern idea to give a cycling man. Hope he recovers!!
    Old 10-15-2009, 08:11 PM

You all are saying such sweet things about me...but I know each of you would and has done very similar things for friends...no great act of kindness, just passing on the one thing I can do that will make him feel better. I had heard that lots of people in chemo sit for a long time and get really cold and that often people have quilts or other special warmers from family and friends.

Significant credit goes to GreenFairy for her unbelievable quilting job. It made the quilt sooooo much more beautiful than I would have imagined it coming out. Another large piece of credit goes to the instructor who walked us through it (those of us in the class) and helped with the layout so that there was "motion" and movement in the quilt itself.

And now for my confession: What ya'll don't know, but I guess I'm spillin the beans is that I lost both of my parents to cancer when I was a child :cry: (yes, sad, I know, 7 when my mom died and 12 when my dad died...long story, but I turned out just fine) - I think that sends me flying to the side of those who are experiencing these moments. What is particularly compelling for me about our friend Colin is that he has children the exact same age as ours...and you can all imagine that I have a big fear about dying and leaving my kids behind. So, I'm sorta watching it with him, and I think I'm probably trying to comfort myself as much as him. So you see, not everything we do is out of love for the others, but sometimes, just to make ourselves feel a little better. Probably this gift to him is a little of both. Thanks for listening...

And thanks all for making me feel like I made a pretty quilt!!
    Old 10-15-2009, 11:45 PM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Rach, your post only makes me feel that you are an EVEN more generous and loving person than I already thought. :D :D :D
    Old 10-16-2009, 01:15 AM
    Banned

Wow Esq, that is absolutely gorgeous!!! You did a superb job!!! I think the beauty of your quilt is just a reflection of your beautiful soul.
    Old 10-16-2009, 04:12 AM

Again, your quilt it amazing, but, what you gave was even more amazing. Being the fact that I am a THREE time survior of cancer your story hit home for me in so many ways.
    Having friends, like you, and family members support during your treatment process is, in my opinion, the best medicine a person can get. I know I wouldn't be here now, if it wasn't for that support and love. You are so right about the chemo treatment room, it is very cold and some do spend a LOT of time there. It becomes your home away from home for several weeks at a time. So, having a quilt that a friend made for you to cuddle up to during your treatments, is one amazing gift and a great reminder that you have support and love. It may seem like a small thing for you to do for Colin, but, believe me, it's a big deal for him.
    Great job, great story and most of all, GREAT FRIEND.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:21 AM

A wonderful quilt and such a touching story. I hope your friend does well. The quilt will be a comfort.
    Old 10-16-2009, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by hawghugger
    Again, your quilt it amazing, but, what you gave was even more amazing. Being the fact that I am a THREE time survior of cancer your story hit home for me in so many ways.
    Having friends, like you, and family members support during your treatment process is, in my opinion, the best medicine a person can get. I know I wouldn't be here now, if it wasn't for that support and love. You are so right about the chemo treatment room, it is very cold and some do spend a LOT of time there. It becomes your home away from home for several weeks at a time. So, having a quilt that a friend made for you to cuddle up to during your treatments, is one amazing gift and a great reminder that you have support and love. It may seem like a small thing for you to do for Colin, but, believe me, it's a big deal for him.
    Great job, great story and most of all, GREAT FRIEND.

Wow, you have an amazing story. It sounds like you had such wonderful support and love, and am so glad to hear that. Cancer is horrible to go through, but the good thing now is that so many people are survivors. When I was a kid, it was a death sentence...now it can become a major pain in the bootie health issue, but not necessarily the worst diagnosis!! Glad to hear you have made it through - it's a testament to your strength and will!
    Old 10-16-2009, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
    Rach, your post only makes me feel that you are an EVEN more generous and loving person than I already thought. :D :D :D
    :) :)
    Old 10-16-2009, 06:46 AM

the quilt is wonderful. So bold and colourful :!: