Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • First try at Kaleidoscopes >
  • First try at Kaleidoscopes

• First try at Kaleidoscopes

Old 07-10-2009, 07:11 PM
    Power Poster

I know it is fussy cut as opposed to the randomness, I am just wondering on how long it would take to cut so many. I wonder if I can figure out how to maybe pin it down to make sure it doesn't move. hmmmmmmm
    Old 07-10-2009, 07:19 PM

oooh, great work!

Kyia
    Old 07-10-2009, 07:32 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by cutebuns
    I know it is fussy cut as opposed to the randomness, I am just wondering on how long it would take to cut so many. I wonder if I can figure out how to maybe pin it down to make sure it doesn't move. hmmmmmmm
    Cute it doesn't move if you just hold it down like you would the hard plastic template. At least i never had any problem.
    it only takes a few min. to mark all 10 sections then I put a pin in each one as I mark it so I can go back and find them all. Then cut all of them out. probably 10 to 15 min tops. it only takes a few min. to sew them together as long as you don't sit and admire them too long as you join them together!!
    Depends on how many you will need to do all of your Ks but if you don't put it down and go do other things in between(which I do alot) you should have one done in about 30 mins.or less.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:42 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

i think you did great..i hope mine turn out as good as yours when i get the chance to try them. Maybe if you make a whole heap and then join them together you might like it better?
    Old 07-10-2009, 07:44 PM

Great job for your first time. Practice, practice, practice.
    Old 07-10-2009, 07:47 PM
    Power Poster

Rhonda, for me that is a long time, a very long time, I have no patience for that, I will have to see if I have a print that can be used for it and see if I can't work it out. I had good luck doing my OBW so maybe, just maybe?
    Old 07-10-2009, 08:32 PM
    Power Poster

Rhonda, for me that is a long time, a very long time, I have no patience for that, I will have to see if I have a print that can be used for it and see if I can't work it out. I had good luck doing my OBW so maybe, just maybe?
    Well Cute I never actually timed it. It may not take that long.

If you want to practice how long it takes just use paper. I practice on paper alot because you can cut it and sew it and iron it just like fabric. It won't let you practice finding the right spot to cut but you can time the steps that way.

Youme asked me for help awhile back and she sent me pictures of her fabric. I printed it off and marked the paper where I would cut the sections like I did in the book. (she gave me that idea) and I emailed the marked picture back to her so she could see it. If you don't mind using some ink it will let you play with some sections and you can see what it might look like without having to actually cut the fabric.

Someone above mentioned using mirrors also. I have never done that but I have seen it done on TV quilt shows.
    Old 07-10-2009, 08:41 PM
    Power Poster

The fist set of OBW I had a little off, but the second set I had pretty mear perfect. If I am fussy cutting, I can always staple the fabric where I am not going to cut as well to hold it still while I am messing with it, I will try both maybe, it is not like I am short fabric or anything, and see what I get, I have seen the mirrors, and all you need to do is tape some small ones together to get what it will look like, I have a pretty good imagination so I am thinking that I can probably guess for the most part. but you never know, I might just suck at it, only time will tell. I am hoping to get the mystery quilt thing done on sun so it won't be then.
    Old 07-10-2009, 09:10 PM
    Power Poster

The fist set of OBW I had a little off, but the second set I had pretty mear perfect. If I am fussy cutting, I can always staple the fabric where I am not going to cut as well to hold it still while I am messing with it, I will try both maybe, it is not like I am short fabric or anything, and see what I get, I have seen the mirrors, and all you need to do is tape some small ones together to get what it will look like, I have a pretty good imagination so I am thinking that I can probably guess for the most part. but you never know, I might just suck at it, only time will tell. I am hoping to get the mystery quilt thing done on sun so it won't be then.
    Sounds good! Can't wait to see pictures!! When you have time of course!
    Old 07-10-2009, 09:16 PM
    Power Poster

Of course, um, I have two quilts almost cut out, I want to try the mystery quilt Sun, I have to finish the OBW I started and needed green fabric for. I am about to fire up the small machine and get the binding on the last thing I just did.

I need to root though my wall and see if there is anything suitable for this. Ummmm, ummmmm what am I looking for, I forgot already. oh yeah, fabric.