Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Follow up to charity Quilt -To Ditch or not to Ditch... >
  • Follow up to charity Quilt -To Ditch or not to Ditch...

• Follow up to charity Quilt -To Ditch or not to Ditch...

Old 04-25-2016, 08:12 AM

Cute quilt! Nice quilting. I did read your post in main IMHO I would have SID on this quilt and it would have still looked nice. SID around each block and the on the diagonal starting on the quilt edge and going thru each block in one straight line. Also depends on the block size. Did you do this on a LA or domestic? SID is really hard on a LA so in that case I would have just done meandering. All that said- NICE quilt!!!!!!
    Old 04-25-2016, 08:15 AM
    Power Poster

Looks great!
    Old 04-25-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
    Cute quilt! Nice quilting. I did read your post in main IMHO I would have SID on this quilt and it would have still looked nice. SID around each block and the on the diagonal starting on the quilt edge and going thru each block in one straight line. Also depends on the block size. Did you do this on a LA or domestic? SID is really hard on a LA so in that case I would have just done meandering. All that said- NICE quilt!!!!!!
    Thanks! I quilt on a Sweet 16 midarm Sitdown so moving the quilt, not the machine. If I SID, I use a ruler, so it is a time consuming endeavor and one I do when I don't do an all over quilt design like cross hatching that you have mentioned. If I cross hatch these little quilts, I do a Wavy cross hatch I liken to fish net, as it's quick doesn't have to be exact and I can mark with chalk quickly. I don't like to mark a lot on these quilts because of time and I give them back to the group, who bind them, so I'm not washing them to get residual marking out. Some of the quilts I get to quilt are like this one, nice fabric, square and nicely pieced. Not all. So when the top maker has made a nice quilt, I like to take the time to do a little something extra and it's doable with good construction and fabric. Often times, they are less than ideal, and those are better suited to an allover quilting design and that's when I do that. My other issue is the time it takes to SID, so if I can do what I did on this quilt without SID and have a great result, it saves me a ton of time and aggravation!
    Old 04-25-2016, 09:50 AM
    Power Poster

Very pretty quilt. Great quilting.
    Old 04-25-2016, 09:57 AM

That is beautiful. Wish I could quilt like that.
    Old 04-26-2016, 02:31 AM

you did a splendid job... bright colors and fun pattern, what a great donation.
    Old 04-26-2016, 03:06 AM
    Power Poster

Many times it is difficult to get the points of the pinwheel to meet right. This is a great way of avoiding that. Love the pattern.
    Old 04-26-2016, 03:56 AM

Very nice quilt and the quilting is great. I think skipping the SID process works OK is the top is well made and well pressed and layered. You are probably taking a chance if you do this but if you watch carefully for problems and correct them before allowing them to progress, it will work well. When we do things for charity most of us are willing workers but we only have limited time. However, I feel that charity work is not an accumulation of my cast offs-it needs to be my good work.
    Old 04-26-2016, 04:05 AM

Beautiful!
    Old 04-26-2016, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by liking quilting
    That's lovely! What is the pattern name?
    I found it!! For those of you that wanted the pattern for this quilt, which I only machine quilted and was made by another member of our local group...it is called Divergent Pinwheels published in one of Fons&Porter's magazines about a year ago. Here is a link I found the pattern available for purchase at which also contains an excellent free video on how to piece the blocks together and looks amazingly simple to put together. It's worth checking out if you want to make this quilt. http://www.keepsakequilting.com/dive...igital-pattern