• Pictures
  • Freehand fmq feathers - great method! >
  • Freehand fmq feathers - great method!

• Freehand fmq feathers - great method!

Old 03-02-2010, 05:34 AM

WOW! Thanks for sharing!
    Old 03-02-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by drivingsusan
    Wow, what a difference!!! I love it---have to get that book!Thank you for the book review! Great work!!!
    ditto
    Old 03-03-2010, 03:01 PM
    Dkm

I also bought the book, but have a question. Did you sew the veins on first and then go back and do the feathers? I did some on a small wall hanging, but found at this time I can only do one direction. Practice makes perfect(I'm not giving up). The book is well worth buying. I would never have tried the other way.
    Old 03-03-2010, 11:05 PM

Dkm - If I'm in an "open" space I come down top to bottom with the spine, then straight back up the right side - but restart the the left side from the bottom again, but if its a border you can get it done all around therefore without stopping.
    If working off/in blocks I sight a seam as the spine.
    Old 03-03-2010, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Katrine
    Dkm - If I'm in an "open" space I come down top to bottom with the spine, then straight back up the right side - but restart the the left side from the bottom again, but if its a border you can get it done all around therefore without stopping.
    If working off/in blocks I sight a seam as the spine.
    Well, I did it, Miss Katrine! I bought the book - - decided it was a sign <g> a friend was in the right place to go to the right store to get the book. Now to get a quilt ready to quilt and practice on! I don't know if you did something TO me or FOR me! LOL
    I love your feathers, and the more I look at them, the more possibilities I see .... good deal! <wave>
    Old 03-04-2010, 02:19 AM

Good for you Omak - you will see even more possibilities once you have a go at the method - there is so much to give ideas in the book. I'd love to know what you think once you've done some.
    Old 03-04-2010, 07:16 AM

Good for you Omak - you will see even more possibilities once you have a go at the method - there is so much to give ideas in the book. I'd love to know what you think once you've done some.
    I like having my quilting to be very open, rather than all knocked down by tiny stippling. I haven't succeeded in opening my stippling up, due to the small strips I have to quilt in, so I am thinking this will do the trick. I was messing with drawing the fan in the air, and keeping in mind that one side of my fans is always different than the other side, (which may always be the case), I realized that this feather is quite versatile for making that transition. I may get to a quilt by this weekend, so will definitely be thinking of you and will report back (with pictures!) DH bought me a new camera last weekend for a project that fell through, but <g> I have a new camera! LOL <wave>
    Old 03-04-2010, 07:27 AM

Omak,
    I think the fact that this method does look like freehand drawing, so both sides of the feather don't look exactly symmetrical. That's what really appeals to me with this method. I'm not into doing traditional piecing or stitching, even tho I do appreciate it.
    Old 03-04-2010, 07:44 AM

I think I need that book! I have never tried to do feathers but you have done a great job! Well done!
    Old 03-04-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by omak
    I like having my quilting to be very open, rather than all knocked down by tiny stippling. I haven't succeeded in opening my stippling up, due to the small strips I have to quilt in, so I am thinking this will do the trick. I was messing with drawing the fan in the air, and keeping in mind that one side of my fans is always different than the other side, (which may always be the case), I realized that this feather is quite versatile for making that transition. I may get to a quilt by this weekend, so will definitely be thinking of you and will report back (with pictures!) DH bought me a new camera last weekend for a project that fell through, but <g> I have a new camera! LOL <wave>
    Know what you mean Omak - I'm the same. I think you could do almost what you wish with this method, you're right it is very versatile and it's easy to make a unique design. I have a pieced jelly roll quilt on the wall at the moment I am wondering how to quilt - lots of pieces of paper strewn around with ideas on................
    And what better way to play with your new camera than taking pix of a newly quilted item? :lol: