Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • this is going to be my men`s ties quilt >
  • this is going to be my men`s ties quilt

• this is going to be my men`s ties quilt

Old 03-01-2014, 06:37 AM

yes I do wash the ties because I buy them second hand so thy need a good washing....since I have so many I can tell which ones won`t hold up to the work and I just throw them out after washing....yes deconstruction is a bit of a pain , but there is a trick to it.....there are a few inches when you start that you have to use the seam ripper but then you just find that special thread that is holding everything together and just pull on it and it all comes out....then I iron the ties either before putting them away or when I`m ready to use them .....I don`t mind the deconstruction part , I just do it in the evenings while watching t.v. It does make a bit of a mess though...

Originally Posted by quilter1
    Love it too. This is a very interesting way to make a tie quilt. I have been collecting ties for a while too and have about 180 now- all of them are from someone I know, most are my DH's but a few from my late father and my nephews. Did you wash them before stabilizing? The deconstruction process seems a bit daunting to me.
    Old 03-01-2014, 06:44 AM

I have a huge pile of men's ties as well..... with the intention of making a crazy quilt. But, now that they've set around for so many years, I'm thinking something more simple will do me just fine. I love your blocks..... I'm sure there will be many that become copycats. And, I hadn't thought of stabilizer between the muslin and the ties. I'm sure that would really steady things up. Thanks for the suggestions..... and do post your finished quilt.
    Old 03-01-2014, 06:53 AM

Looking good! Keep on going. Our bee made a collective quilt using black as the center stripe, it turned out great. That red as a center will really pop.
    Old 03-01-2014, 10:48 AM

Wonderful idea to cut them into squares. Usually they are put into a "Dresden Plate" effect. They are going to look fabulous when you are finished.
    Old 03-01-2014, 09:13 PM

I vote for black sashing, which would make the colors pot even more. Have you decided what to do with the labels?
    I have my labels cut off of 200 or more ties and I am thinking about doing something too. I have collected ties from relatives and want to add their name, dates if I ever get around to do it. I love your method. Thanks for sharing!
    Old 03-01-2014, 09:27 PM
    Power Poster

Just beautiful....I am still at the collecting stage, though I am washing them before I store them, some of them have been pretty dirty, like you I am getting them at charity shops and the like. I am going to keep track of this thread, can't wait to see this one finished.
    Old 03-01-2014, 09:46 PM

yes , I`ve kept the labels....I want to do a crazy quilt with ties eventually and will use the labels there....when I`m ready to assemble I`ll try different color sashings.....
    Originally Posted by ragamuffin
    I vote for black sashing, which would make the colors pot even more. Have you decided what to do with the labels?
    I have my labels cut off of 200 or more ties and I am thinking about doing something too. I have collected ties from relatives and want to add their name, dates if I ever get around to do it. I love your method. Thanks for sharing!
    Old 03-02-2014, 01:18 AM

Love your idea! Will make a great quilt. Makes me want to get out my stash of ties from thrift stores!
    Old 03-02-2014, 04:21 AM

That is going to be wonderful. I like how you are sashing with corner stones, with such a wide array of colors it really blends nicely. Please let us see it when you are done.
    Old 03-02-2014, 04:24 AM
    Power Poster

Very nice. You can usually pick up men's ties very reasonable at yard sales and thrift shops.