Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Gramma's Sampler has begun!! Final Pictures Page 7 >
  • Gramma's Sampler has begun!! Final Pictures Page 7

• Gramma's Sampler has begun!! Final Pictures Page 7

Old 01-11-2009, 11:09 AM

Thanks so much guys! I was trying to use Gramma's Alzheimer's to my advantage when I told her about the quilt. I was surprised she remembered it that long.

I spoke to her a little bit yesterday. I know she thought she was on the phone with my sister. I don't know how to sew clothing, and Gramma taught my sister through one or two easy pieces. I was telling her, without giving it away, that I was working on pieces with a biased edge. She told me that I should stop stitching RIGHT NOW and go to JoAnn's and buy some bias tape!!

She cracks me up.
    Old 01-11-2009, 11:21 AM
    Banned

Melissa, that is a great story, I have a friend in a similar situation as your Grandmother.. You have to wonder where they are and what they are thinking..
    Old 01-11-2009, 04:20 PM

Before I come on gushing about my dresden plate, I thought I would show you my applique on the fan. I wanted to photo it because the red thread really shows up and says HI I'M HERE on that yellow background square.

[IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...sdenzigzag.jpg[/IMG]
    Old 01-11-2009, 04:30 PM

Okay, now the dresden plate.

First, a HUMONGO thank you to Roben for showing me that dresdens can have pointed blades. I never saw that technique before your wallhanging. I had seen pointed ones and scalloped ones in the same quilt before, but I thought they were two separate blocks. I really liked this technique. It made the plate look more like a flower, which was why I picked it in the first place. My gramma loves flowers and I could see it in my head of a blooming flower. It's so pretty.

Originally, there were only 4 fabrics in the plate, but the more I made the blocks, the more I wanted all fabrics to be in it to tie them all together. I managed to put orange and pink in the same block and it didn't look horrid. Since I knew the center of the flower and the background would both be yellow, I threw in a white instead. I couldn't get over the difference.

My late MIL was the first person to introduce me to quilting. It was through her influence that I picked my first and later my second machine. I had the pleasure of living in OK with her for 18 months before she suddenly passed away. We had a rocky start, but she ended up my best friend and I wouldn't change a thing. I was lucky to have her. Before she died, she gave me my very first quilt frame as a birthday present. Unfortunately, my house is too small to set it up, but I think of it every day. I joined her club when she was president and when she died, I was president and she had nominated me. What an honor.

The dresden plate was my MIL's favorite and very first block. She was a rambunctious child, as was I. She was constantly bugging her grandmother for quilting lessons. So, at age 6, her grandmother got her started. She had to hand piece 50 7 1/2" dresden plate blocks. I can only imagine how small her pieces had to be. I think her grandmother may have tried to deter her with a harder piece, but my MIL prevailed as she always did. She finished her quilt at age 7 and she was hooked. She made her own grandmother a dresden plate and rail fence combo quilt the year she died. Mag Tankersley was already a great grandmother and knew her first great, great grandchild was on the way. My MIL never made another plate, after her grandmother died, but she always called it her favorite.

So, in this quilt, I get to honor the woman who means more to me than words can say. She's of strong German stock that expressed emotions are limited. So I don't get all "gushy" over her, as she says, I can speak to her in this quilt. Also, with this block, I get to honor the woman who introduced me to my passion and influenced me more than any other woman EXCEPT my gramma herself.

I hope you enjoy the finished piece as much as I did. I used a straight stitch in the same bright red to applique the "leaves" of my flower. Then I used a decorative zigzag around the center that gave it a Cross stitch sort of look.

[IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...tefinished.jpg[/IMG]
    Old 01-11-2009, 04:31 PM
    Banned

looking good
    Old 01-11-2009, 04:32 PM
    Banned

Love the Dresden Plate,, you are doing great
    Old 01-13-2009, 07:02 PM

Super - keep it up! Gramma will love it all.
    Old 01-13-2009, 07:41 PM

Just wanted to hop in and tell you about today.

Today was a difficult day....or well, an anniversary of a difficult day. I had a friend come by for coffee and then we were supposed to go shopping. I told her we weren't leaving the house until we were both satisfied with where the 9 blocks should go. 2 hours later, we went shopping.

Then I cut the lattice strips and cornersquares and went to work. I finished about 6:45. My quilt top in progress is now a complete quilt top.

I have approx 4 weeks to get it quilted and bound. SO....when I get some pics, I'll post them.

I have to go get some batting as it's a funky size (57" square) and some basting spray as I want to try it out.

I just couldn't wait to tell you all it was done.
    Old 01-14-2009, 12:18 AM

Congratulaions on finishing your quilt. I am so looking forward to seeing the final pictures. I just know it's going to be beautiful.
    Old 01-15-2009, 03:13 AM

Trying to be patient!