Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Gramma's Sampler has begun!! Final Pictures Page 7 >
  • Gramma's Sampler has begun!! Final Pictures Page 7

• Gramma's Sampler has begun!! Final Pictures Page 7

Old 01-17-2009, 05:30 PM

Um.....yeah so the backing isn't right. I needed a 60 x 60 piece. Somehow...I really thought that if I cut 2 30 inch squares, they would add up to 60. This is why my high school algebra teacher thought I was joking when I told him I took up quilting. He even made sure to ask "you know it DOES involve some math don't you?" God love him.

So I sat on the floor and ripped and sewed and ripped and sewed and guess what??? You can't get a 60 in square out of 2 30 in squares...it's impossible. So, I sewed on the little piece I cut off. That got me 72 x 44....still not right. Well...I ran out of fabric. I tried every shop I could think of in town and couldn't find this same fabric that I had bought online. I really HAVE to get this thing in the frame this weekend or I'm going to run out of time! So...I bought a little solid green, darker than the lattice strips, but lighter than the original backing. I'm adding a 10 in strip on each long side and I'll put it together that way. Gramma will think it will have character and I'm not going to tell her that I hate a multi-color backing. I'm just hoping to arrange it where it doesn't look horrible.

RRRGGGG.....so, when the kids go to bed, I'll add the strips, center the stupid thing and spray away. This quilt is going to live 500 miles away from me and I'm not going to spend my days staring at the back and neither is anyone else. It's just irksome..
    Old 01-17-2009, 05:36 PM

A lady in my guild made a hand quilted quilt of her family's memoies.
    She wrote it on muslin. As she wrote she would think of something else.
    When she finished she had eight pages. She put them together as a book. She had the family name and the dates/years that the book/quilt were to represent on the front. The next pages were the memories. She
    quilted the book and attached it to the quilt. ALL hand quilted.
    So, the sky is the limit for the label/book on the quilt and a journal history of your progress in life and quilting.
    Old 01-17-2009, 07:06 PM

Looking good!!!!!
    Old 01-17-2009, 08:02 PM
    Power Poster

It is an AWESOME quilt ! Don't fret too much about the back, the front is GREAT and that is what most people see and look at. :lol: The story that goes with it is beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.
    Sharon
    Old 01-18-2009, 08:02 AM

OK, it is Sunday - how goes the quilting? Can hardly wait to see your finished project. THEN the delivery - we need pictures there too you know?
    Old 01-18-2009, 08:25 AM

I finally got it all basted late last night. I looked on the side of the can and read the small print. It says it disappears in 2-5 days which irked me to no end. But, I used the spray to get the three layers sandwiched and wrinkle free and then pinned, but pinned in fewer places than without the spray.

I'm going to start quilting it today when I get back from church.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:42 AM
    Power Poster

well, melissa, after consoling me about grandbaby's quilt, least I can do is let you know I feel for you. we just start out with fabrics and pictures in our heads and when they don't match up, here comes the improvising. Guess it's His way of stretching us, lol. Lately I feel like the jolly green giant I have been stretched so much! C
    Old 01-18-2009, 02:24 PM

WOW. After your PM I had to come look - its gorgeous. I love the bold colours in it, and the placement of the blocks is great. I'm sure Gramma will love it.

Sorry you had trouble calculating the backing. Doing the math is about the only part of quilt making I involve my other half in! Good luck with the quilting. Looking forward to seeing another picture when its all finished and bound.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:20 PM

Thanks Sarah.

I got the hand quilting done in the dresden plate and am working on the sashing around it now. Since I only have 10 workable3 inches at a time, I have to move the frame A LOT!!
    Old 01-24-2009, 12:32 PM

Just wanted to give you guys a little update.

Not sure if we'll still be making it out there in February as this winter the weather has been really strange. I can't be stuck on the interstate hours away from home with 3 small boys. Just not going to happen.

Today is quilting day 7 and I only have 3 blocks left. I've stitched in the ditch for all of them, but I pick and choose the ditches that I stitch in, so each has a nifty design on the back.

When it's all done, I'll post more pictures.

Melissa