Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Grandmas quilt >
  • Grandmas quilt

• Grandmas quilt

Old 05-16-2008, 03:53 PM

Well, I guess I'm classified as the Grandma of the group then! :mrgreen:
    I used the traditional hand piecing method to do mine, then appliqued some on it.

I would like to do another one with 1930 Repos, using 1 inch hexs instead of the larger ones I used here.

I have not personally seen the setting of the GFG with the smaller one included. Quite striking!

All the quilts displayed are lovely. I have enjoyed looking at them, as always.

Riley

GFG~~~ handpieced & hand quilted
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]9781[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-9781.jpe  
    Old 05-16-2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Riley
    Well, I guess I'm classified as the Grandma of the group then! :mrgreen:
    I used the traditional hand piecing method to do mine, then appliqued some on it.

I would like to do another one with 1930 Repos, using 1 inch hexs instead of the larger ones I used here.

I have not personally seen the setting of the GFG with the smaller one included. Quite striking!

All the quilts displayed are lovely. I have enjoyed looking at them, as always.

Riley
    What a gorgeous quilt you made!
    I would love to make one, but really don't have the patience for it
    Old 05-16-2008, 04:11 PM

Oh Riley that is beautiful! Love the applique on the border :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 05-16-2008, 04:35 PM

Thank you very much for the pats on the back--you are most kind!

The border came about because I was a 'tad lazy' when I pondered a binding around that many hexs. So, I decided to blind stitch them down to a straight piece of fabric. Then I had to put something ON the fabric.

This is pretty true of all I piece & quilt, the patterns evolves as I make it! :mrgreen:

I am working on a pattern I have wanted to make for awhile. It is one by Kim Diehl Simple Traditions It has an absolutely wonderful border that I hope to do justice to.

Thanks again for your kindness! Riley

A corner of the border
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]9780[/ATTACH]

The blocks
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]9801[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-9780.jpe   attachment-9801.jpe  
    Old 05-16-2008, 05:25 PM

Once again Riley that is beautiful! Its hand applique isnt it? Needle turn? Love the colors in it. I cant wait to see it when you are done, You better post it!!!!!
    Old 05-17-2008, 08:11 AM

Riley, your work is outstanding! I guess I was the "grandma" of the group waaaaaaaay back when, (before there was a group! ) My first GFG was traditional hand piecing. And I did use larger hex's. I much prefer the 1 inch that I am doing now. The quilting on the 1st one was done by my Grandmother..........her last quilt before she passed away. She finished the binding for me, and did go around each hex!!! I will most likely NOT do that! All of these quilts are just beautiful. I really like the Overall Sam done in blues.

Humbird

Old 05-17-2008, 11:59 AM

First off, thank you for your continuing kind words on my "needle doings"! Nothing like pats on the back from fellow quilters to keep you motivated.

Secondly, I apologize that I posted px of an entirely different subject than what the thread was about. I believe that is OFF TOPIC, to say the least! (Talk about doddering old quilters wandering around lost in technology.... :mrgreen: Truly, I am sorry!)

Now, ON TOPIC: Have any of you tired Linda Franz' Ink Lingo on the hex shapes ( plus a few other kinds of shapes.)
    http://www.lindafranz.com/inklingo.htm
    I purchased "Collection One" when she first came out with it & you know, it actually works as she says it does.

I do have a printer that is a bit cranky about accepting fabric that is a tad thick though. I have to reset the settings & then remember to set them back.

You can always select the amount of hexes you want in Adobe--it is such a simple set up.

I have not actually made my GFG with this, as of yet, but I am thinking that I might give it a go when I get ready to do the next one. I did try it enough to know it does work though.

Riley
    Old 05-17-2008, 07:35 PM

Just how does that program work? Does it print the shapes onto the fabric and then you cut it out or what? Sounds interesting!
    Old 05-17-2008, 08:31 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

love all your quilts!
    Old 05-20-2008, 06:00 AM

I keep coming back to this thread just to goggle over all these beautiful works of art. The INK LINGO looks very interesting. If I had known about it last Nov. when I started my GFG. I might have used it. I have the site in my favorites, and perhaps for another time. I love the applique you did on your quilt Riley. I have wondered how I would finish the borders on mine. Would you mind if I copied your idea?

Have a great day all........Humbird