Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric >
  • A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric

• A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric

Old 01-25-2011, 02:38 AM

Actually there's not a lot of orange...it's my camera being too close.I've never ever bought orange fabric & don't intend to LOL
    This fabric is more Mardi Gras & will go to 1st DD that speaks up.Not my colors at all....but should make a nice OBW.

Originally Posted by QM
    I am not an orange type person. I have made 3 (I think) orange quilts, although I often use orange in scrappies. I think the amount of orange in this fabric might have prevented me from buying it, if I'd seen it. The results, however, are spectacular.
    Old 01-25-2011, 02:44 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Also, with OBW, you can reduce or enhance the dominance of a colour by how you design the layout. If you group all the dominant orange blocks together (like I have, top left) they'll make more of an 'orange statement' than if you spread them about through the quilt. I'm partial to the turquoise-blue in the fabric so I've given that the starring role by putting it central and will probably enhance this further in my choice of border colour. :-D
    Old 01-25-2011, 02:47 AM

Keep those tips coming... can use all I can find.

Originally Posted by k3n
    Also, with OBW, you can reduce or enhance the dominance of a colour by how you design the layout. If you group all the dominant orange blocks together (like I have, top left) they'll make more of an 'orange statement' than if you spread them about through the quilt. I'm partial to the turquoise-blue in the fabric so I've given that the starring role by putting it central and will probably enhance this further in my choice of border colour. :-D
    Old 01-26-2011, 10:22 PM

I'm enjoying every post on this thread. I'm up to my ears on my current project, or I'd be trying to find this fabric to join you all!
    Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

I am looking forward to seeing the quilts finished, but my own first OBW will be from a different fabric.
    Old 01-27-2011, 03:07 AM

LOL....my 1st attempt at OBW lasted all of 5 blocks.The fabric just wasn't me & didn't want to waste more fabric.This fabric is also far from my personal taste, but I'm betting either DD or Grdau will claim it.

Originally Posted by QM
    I am looking forward to seeing the quilts finished, but my own first OBW will be from a different fabric.
    Old 01-27-2011, 03:10 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by JoanneS
    I'm enjoying every post on this thread. I'm up to my ears on my current project, or I'd be trying to find this fabric to join you all!
    Mental image of Joanne sinking in fabric! :lol: Not a bad way to go though! :-D

Pat, at least your trial fabric showed how it goes. So not a waste! I've pieced my blocks into rows to stop myself fiddling with the layout anymore but I've got a bargello WIP out to keep me busy while you all catch up so no rush! :D :D :D
    Old 01-27-2011, 04:03 AM

I'm bad at "fiddlin" with blocks. Does this color look right next to that one, or better on another row? Maybe that's why I do mostly scrappy....or as DH says,"all my quilts look alike". :D :D
    Old 01-27-2011, 05:41 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by plainpat
    I'm bad at "fiddlin" with blocks. Does this color look right next to that one, or better on another row? Maybe that's why I do mostly scrappy....or as DH says,"all my quilts look alike". :D :D
    Oh ohhh! You're going to have so much fun when you come to do your layout then! I swear I swap the blocks around so much that by the end they probably end up back where they started! Then DH comes in and says 'can I make a suggestion?' and I say 'NO!' :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's when I join the blocks into rows - can't fiddle anymore without unsewing! :-D
    Old 01-27-2011, 05:54 AM
    Power Poster

I thought the "fiddling" was one of the best parts of making the OBW...:lol: I could do that for days!