• Pictures
  • A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric >
  • A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric

• A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric

Old 01-27-2011, 06:21 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
    I thought the "fiddling" was one of the best parts of making the OBW...:lol: I could do that for days!
    Ha! While Rome burns? :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 01-27-2011, 06:55 AM
    Power Poster

Well yes, of course.....I was busy!!
    Old 01-27-2011, 08:33 AM

I was wondering if someone can tell me do you wash your fabric first when you do an OBW? I was going to but then I thought what if it didn't shrink evenly then I wouldn't be able to line it up right? Any help, comments, or explaination would be greatly appreciated.
    Old 01-27-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by ksea
    I was wondering if someone can tell me do you wash your fabric first when you do an OBW? I was going to but then I thought what if it didn't shrink evenly then I wouldn't be able to line it up right? Any help, comments, or explaination would be greatly appreciated.

No don't wash it. You want the sizing in it to make it easier to work with. Makes it easier to stack, cut and sew.
    Old 01-27-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by purplepamela

No don't wash it. You want the sizing in it to make it easier to work with. Makes it easier to stack, cut and sew.
    Thank you thats what I thought about after I washed the first 4 1/2 yards, but its ok because I just picked up the other bolt I special ordered from Joanns and it is 8 yards so I will still have plenty. Now I am just waiting on the book to come from Amazon.com, should be here by this weekend and then I can start cutting. I am so anxious, both to start and about making a mistake. I think I may practice on another piece of fabric that I have that I don't like nearly as well.
    Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 AM

Which book did you choose? I went with the OBW cubed and think I should have started with a basic book first since I've never done one before
    Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstodo
    Which book did you choose? I went with the OBW cubed and think I should have started with a basic book first since I've never done one before
    I looked at the OBW cubed and thought that the instructions weren't very clear and the lady at the LQS said it was for someone who had done one before, so I just went with the first one in the series called One Block Wonder by maxine rosenthal. They have all three on Amazon.com but I only bought the first one. But I have trouble following directions some times anyway, so maybe it will be okay for you.
    Old 01-27-2011, 10:53 AM

It is a little confusing and I have decided to order the first book also. I always seen to think I can do all the fancy stuff and skip the basic. This time I need to start with the basic.
    Old 01-27-2011, 12:12 PM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltstodo
    It is a little confusing and I have decided to order the first book also. I always seen to think I can do all the fancy stuff and skip the basic. This time I need to start with the basic.
    I've sent you a PM but just wanted to say here as well for others that there are basic instructions in the back (p75 onwards) of the Cubed book on how to layer, cut and piece. There aren't as many design tips and details but I've had a quick read and it's basically a condensed version from book one. I would say that you'll be fine with it unless you specifically wanted a second book at this stage. :-D
    Old 01-27-2011, 12:14 PM
    k3n
    Power Poster

I looked at the OBW cubed and thought that the instructions weren't very clear and the lady at the LQS said it was for someone who had done one before, so I just went with the first one in the series called One Block Wonder by maxine rosenthal. They have all three on Amazon.com but I only bought the first one. But I have trouble following directions some times anyway, so maybe it will be okay for you.
    She was right really as it's third in a series. I would say that it will make more sense to you once you've got the fabric in front of you. I remember when I made my first, I read the book right through first then worked with it open along side me, like an instruction manual. :-D