Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Gypsy Wife floppy >
  • Gypsy Wife floppy

• Gypsy Wife floppy

Old 05-16-2017, 06:30 AM
    Power Poster

Stunning, Cathy... just like all of your work!
    Old 05-16-2017, 07:48 AM

thanks for the nice comments!

To answer a few questions, I bought the pattern last Friday afternoon, and started cutting on Sunday, and then finished it up yesterday afternoon. I didn't think it took a lot of time, compared to some others, but not one of the fastest either. I spent quite a bit of time figuring out what I needed for the stripes before I started. I did not especially care for the instructions, I felt a lot got left out that would have been helpful. I did have a later, corrected pattern, and all the measurements were accurate.

the worst - the yardage on the back says you need something like 24 pieces of 4" WOF and 40 pieces of 2" WOF - but you don't use 4" or 2" of anything, so I don't know why that is on there. All of the stripes are cut at 1.5" except around 5 (I think) are cut at 1" - so I have no idea why the yardage requirements list 2" WOF.

Of the 63 stripes. There are quite a few that are around 45-60", so for some you need more than one WOF. But some are quite a bit less, I even used a few 10" squares for strips as I only needed three chunks, all less than 9" long. Since I was using a lot of fat quarters, I did up a chart so I knew what I could cut from a fat quarter and what needed to be cut from wider pieces.

I did not use the "leftover" chunks from the stripes in the blocks, as I wanted more separation between the stripes and blocks, so I have a lot of leftover 1.5" strips (but I'm sure I can find a use for them).

I cut all the blocks at the same time. I did them randomly, and did end up with a few similar color blocks next to each other. The layout is the only place that shows what blocks go where, and for some, you have to look pretty closely to figure out what goes were.

The directions are clear that the measurement given for the blocks is Finished, so you have to remember that the make 2 finished at 4" means to trim them to 4.5". I really do not like it does not give interim "trim to" measurements, but often you can figure them out. I kept trimming blocks as I was sewing rounds to that it ended up correct. I also have had no luck doing covered corners for square in a square, so figured out what I needed to cut to do them differently. I cut the outer triangles a bit larger and trimmed to size, but that is a personal preference method for me.

overall, I really enjoyed making this quilt, but found the directions more confusing more from omission than anything else. The hardest part is keeping the stripes organized so you keep them in the correct order as you are working on different sections of the quilt, so that when you sew them all together, your stripes are the same fabric from top to bottom of the quilt.

There is one other item, she has several places where she's got 2 1" strips sewing together, but in the whole quilt, you only need a 1" strip in one spot. I assume that she put the others in for balance, but if I had to do it again, I'l
    Old 05-16-2017, 07:52 AM

I can't edit at work - I started a week ago Friday, not this last weekend. So I started cutting out Sunday a week ago, and finished it up this Sunday.
    Old 05-16-2017, 08:06 AM

It's gorgeous. What a great birthday gift to yourself. And, using only stash....that is a reward in itself. I'm impressed. You must have a really great stash. The colors are awesome!!!
    Old 05-16-2017, 08:14 AM

You know, this quilt is on my bucket list. But, after hearing you talk about the instructions, I'm not sure. I'm not really great at Math. So, this quilt could really be something that would be an extreme challenge. I will keep it on the list but put it off for awhile. (To gain more experience with this type of pattern.) Thank you for your helpful insite and suggestions. It's been invaluable to me.
    Old 05-16-2017, 08:29 AM

This is amazing, Cathy, great job.
    Old 05-16-2017, 09:04 AM

Wonderful, Cathy!! I got the blocks done, but didn't finish it. Yours is lovely and fun colors!
    Old 05-16-2017, 09:37 AM
    Power Poster

What a neat pattern so colorful good job!!!
    Old 05-16-2017, 03:35 PM

Judith, this is not a difficult quilt as far as technique. When I bought the pattern, the owner of the LQS said she was considering doing this pattern as a "quilt along" over the summer, so I took notes while I was constructing it. I have the layout chart for the strips and my other notes I'm willing to share for those that don't enjoy that part of the planning.

I think I'll do another at some point in time, but I'm going to swap out some of the larger blocks for ones I like better.
    Old 05-16-2017, 03:46 PM

I think there was a quiltalong on Pinterest for this quilt a while back and I think somewhere else.

Your notes would probably be a huge help for those of us with less experience and those who are somewhat mathematically and layout challenged.