Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Hand Quilter's Finished Quilt >
  • Hand Quilter's Finished Quilt

• Hand Quilter's Finished Quilt

Old 05-17-2009, 06:05 PM

Ok will do
    Old 05-17-2009, 06:08 PM

Me too don't know what it is but scrap quilts just seem more homey an comfy to me and unique is right yous is reall special i haven't seen that pattern keep it up :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 05-17-2009, 11:17 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by estherblair
    Me too don't know what it is but scrap quilts just seem more homey an comfy to me and unique is right yous is reall special i haven't seen that pattern keep it up :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks estherblair, so glad you like it.
    It was a fun pattern with a lot of pieces , but i am satisfied with the way it turned out!

Ninnie
    Old 05-18-2009, 07:37 PM

Ninnie, I think your quilt is absolutely beautiful. I hope you post more pictures as you use your lovely quilts.

I, too, love to hand quilt. I think I enjoy the process so much, I'll never be able to give it up.

I guess I could do machine quilting if I was in a hurry to give a gift. It is not that I don't think machine quilting is lovely, I do, but I would just miss getting to have that quilt on the frame in my living room. It is like it becomes my friend or something.

Actually, it may be that I am just afraid to try machine quilting. I may like it too much, too. :D
    Old 05-19-2009, 12:15 AM

Ninnie, your quilt is beautiful. When I took my first quilting class my instructor showed us how to hand piece and quilt the blocks we were doing and how to do them by machine. When I tried to hand quilt she told me I was doing it wrong and I should probably just stick to a machine. I got so frustrated I never tried to do it again. I have just stuck with my machine. I really admire all of you that quilt that way.
    Old 05-19-2009, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
    I have been quilting for about 12 years now and in that time I have made about 30 full size quilts and a few minis.

I have only been on here about 2 months and I have seen beautiful work that is so inspiring for me. When I see a quilt that one of you have made in a weekend and see how pretty it is I feel a little envy and think maybe I am going about this quilting all wrong. Then I sit down at my floor frame and pick up a quilting needle and I remember why I love the way I quilt.

I am a scrap quilter and seldom buy anything larger than a fq. Granted I have over 1000 of them, but still just a scrap quilter. I won't be posting a picture every week, Only about 3 or 4 times a year.

This is a good example of the type of quilting I do. I hope you like it.

Thanks for all the beautiful quilts to look at . I love seeing them all, the only problem is that my "Must Make Quilts" list is growing! :lol: :lol:

Ninnie, I have the same feelings you do. I am a hand quilter. I am taking a machine quilting class. But when I look at the beautiful fabric I just bought. I don't want to take a chance, I am back to hand quilting.

Years ago when my husband had lost his job and we could not afford Christmas Presents for the family. I made 26 table runners and machine quilted them all in the ditch. I was not happy with any of them, although the family loved them all.

When I see all the beautiful machine quilting, I also have that little bit of envy and think I could get so many of the quilts I have in my mind done.

I went to a quilt show this weekend and out of hundreds of quilts I only found 10 hand quilted. It doesn't seem that hand quilting is valued anymore than machine quilting.

I love seeing all the beautiful quilts too and it keeps making me want to try machine quilting, but then I am back to my hand quilting. I love the hand work. In fact I am going to go back to my hand applique. Although I am trying machine applique in my machine quilting class. Maybe this is one thing I am old school or maybe I am a little afraid to try.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Swan Song
    Ninnie, your quilt is beautiful. When I took my first quilting class my instructor showed us how to hand piece and quilt the blocks we were doing and how to do them by machine. When I tried to hand quilt she told me I was doing it wrong and I should probably just stick to a machine. I got so frustrated I never tried to do it again. I have just stuck with my machine. I really admire all of you that quilt that way.
    How awful that an instructor told you that!! Did she bother to explain exactly
    what you were doing that was so wrong???? Can you say "Quilt Police"??
    All of us do things differently and that doesn't make it wrong. Give it
    another try just for me!

Old 05-19-2009, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Izy
    Oh Ninnie your quilt is absolutely beautiful...and I think you hit the nail on the head when you expressed that you enjoy the journey of quilting as much as the end product, I too have found myself drawn to scrap quilting, I just love the buzz from selecting fabrics and making something unique :D :D :D
    I have to agree as well when it comes to scrap quilting, to me it seems that there is more of a story to each quilt (although that's not always true). But as far as fabric goes, you get a little here and a little there and who knows for what purpose and when.
    Old 05-19-2009, 04:57 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by motomom
    Ninnie, I think your quilt is absolutely beautiful. I hope you post more pictures as you use your lovely quilts.

I, too, love to hand quilt. I think I enjoy the process so much, I'll never be able to give it up.

I guess I could do machine quilting if I was in a hurry to give a gift. It is not that I don't think machine quilting is lovely, I do, but I would just miss getting to have that quilt on the frame in my living room. It is like it becomes my friend or something.

Actually, it may be that I am just afraid to try machine quilting. I may like it too much, too. :D
    Thanks motomom! I need a fix of hand quilting today! I love getting lost in the quilting and forgetting everything else!

Ninnie
    Old 05-19-2009, 05:03 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Swan Song

Swansong, that wasn't much of an instrutor! everyone can hand quilt! Please don't let one STUPID instructor spoil it for you.

make a sandwich of material and batting , like the green picture above and sit down and have fun seeing all the different designs you can come up with. a roll of masking tape can be used to make designs! or aplate or a spool of thread, anything you have laying around. then just practice getting your stitches the same size, it's not about the size of the stitches.

So glad you like my quilt! :D :D

Ninnie