Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Hand Quilting - need encouragement >
  • Hand Quilting - need encouragement

• Hand Quilting - need encouragement

Old 01-28-2011, 05:20 AM

I think there is a steep learning curve at first, but after a period of time, you'll find that it IS fun and relaxing. I kept looking at other hand quilted quilts (online and on this board) and tried to figure out the difference between those quilts and my own. Trying to match what I saw helped a lot!

Also, I had trouble making the first stitch small: it was hard to keep the layers on the point of the needle. Then someone suggested tilting the needle down (point up, eye down), and that helped a lot.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Jory
    Old 01-28-2011, 05:23 AM

Another thing that took some time to learn: keeping the stitches straight on a straight line: some stitches were "wonky": they didn't line up like I wanted them to. Got in the habit of taking stitches out that were "out of line." Slowed me down and motivated me to try hard to put the stitch where it was supposed to be.

HTH

Jory
    Old 01-28-2011, 05:52 AM

I am not at all good at handquilting, so anything lookds good to me. I did learn, on the first quilt I handstitched, make sure you are using a quilting needle. That alone made a big difference in the size stitch I was getting.
    Old 01-28-2011, 05:59 AM

Like everything else it takes time to feel comfortable quilting. I find that my stitches are a little smaller and a little more even than when I started but not perfect. I have a certain length that seems comfortable and I have decided that I am doing it just to do it not to be perfect. When I am tired my stitches are more crooked. Really, unless you are taking it to a quilt show it doesn't really matter. After I wash my quilts my stitches look really good. It is hard not to compare. Just hang in there and keep going it will get easier.
    Old 01-28-2011, 06:50 AM

Keep on keeping on.... I am a hand quilter of over MANY years. I am 78 and started quilting with my Mom when I was a little girl. The more you do the easier and more relaxed ;you will be. The smaller the neele the better. I use a size 12 tween quilting needle.
    Old 01-28-2011, 06:58 AM

The whimsical print is a good one to start with hand quilting. Uneven, casual stitches look natural here. If I ever decide to hand quilt again, I need to remember that. To me, your work looks good on both sides. Enjoy the rest of the project. Now that your research is over, and you're getting practical, it'll go faster, and perhaps you'll relax. You have our support.
    Old 01-28-2011, 07:29 AM
    pal

Gosh, I think it looks great! I started hand quilting about a month ago. My stitches aren't even and they are larger than they're "supposed" to be. But it IS relaxing, and some time large is good. To me, they look great - I am really enjoying the process. And a hobby is supposed to "de-stress" you, which is what big, uneven stitching seems to be doing for me.

Your stitches look wonderful!
    Old 01-28-2011, 07:36 AM

You're off to a great start - keep at it:!:
    Old 01-28-2011, 07:37 AM

Your quilting looks very good. I have been hand quilting for many years and, believe me, my first project wasn't nearly as nice as what you are working on. Like so many other people have written, practice is the key to hand quilting. You will find a natural rhythm and decide what works for you. In the end, your quilt will be appreciated and cherished because it came from your hands (not the size or exact regularity of the stitches). Enjoy the process!
    Old 01-28-2011, 07:39 AM

I have trigger fingers and there is no way I can "practice" into the fine art of handquilting. Then the other day I saw this larger stitch with embroidrary thread that I will try soon !! So happy about that ! But, you keep on keeping on and yes practice will make well done because there are no rules for what is perfect !!! The Amish even purpose their mistakes just in case I guess. !!! More pics as you go along please !