Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Hand Quilting >
  • Hand Quilting

• Hand Quilting

Old 07-16-2010, 06:28 PM

They can do some wonderful things with machine quilting and do it in a day, Not several months. I have done a little machine quilting but there is something comforting about hand quilting and so I too hand quilt. Your work is fantastic. You should be very proud. People do appreciate hand quilting but most just don't want to put that much time into one quilt when they can have dozens done in the same amount of time. Then there are some who did hand quilting but can't now because of arthritis. It's like any art form. Some prefer oils and others watercolor and others charcoal sketches. How boring it would be if we all did the same thing. I do think there are some guilds that don't want hand quilters in them. It's a shame.
    Old 07-16-2010, 06:33 PM
    Power Poster

Your hand work is simply stunning! I agree with you about the entire hand vs. machine quilting debate. I started out hand quilting and I love to do it....the problem is carpel tunnel..I just can't. So for me to continue to finish my own quilts, I must machine quilt. I so admire those of you who can hand quilt and I appreciate the time and effort invested.
    Old 07-16-2010, 06:42 PM

Your hand quilting is marvelous.

Some of us are all 'toes' when trying to do stuff by hand, therefore we use machines. But I definitely don't want to see hand quilting become a dying art!

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
    Old 07-16-2010, 06:58 PM

Wow that is some outstandng work! I wish I could handquilt and not have it hurt my hands and arms. The handquilted quilts certainly special. Mary
    Old 07-16-2010, 07:04 PM

Rhueluna - your quilts took my breath away. They are stunning. I agree that there should be a separate division for the hand quilted quilts. They are in a league of their own. I have only hand quilted half a quilt and it's waiting in the closet for me to drag it out again and work on it. I do machine quilt on an HQ-16 mainly because I make utilitarian quilts and I just can't imagine putting all that hard hand quilting work into a quilt that will be dragged around and washed quite a bit. I also work full time and just don't have the time to hand quilt. It is a wonderful art and I do hope that people such as yourself will keep it going. I so admire you and your work. Again, your quilts are stunning.
    Old 07-16-2010, 07:16 PM

I agree hand quilting should be judged separately from machine quilting, same a s hand piecing and machine piecing should be separate, and hand applique and machine applique.

I have great respect for you ladies that can do the hand stuff. i Can't. But I love your work, and think it is very special.
    Old 07-16-2010, 09:02 PM

Thumbs Up for you! :thumbup: :thumbup: I agree with you, and I hope hand quilting never stops. More power to those who hand quilts. I admire you, the time consuming, the sore fingers, the patience, the outstanding love, the tired eyes, the stiff shoulders, the aching back, the heart felt warmth and most of all the "Skill" in general. Those quilts should be worth thousands of dollars. I said all of this because, I tried handquilting and if that was the only way to quilt, I would do it. I'm a longarmer now, but I greatly admire your skillful work. Thanks for sharing your beautiful, greatly appreciated work. Hats Off to You!!!!
    Old 07-16-2010, 09:08 PM

Borntohandquilt: Your quilting is so perfect looking. You do beautiful work. Just outstanding! Thanks for sharing.
    Old 07-16-2010, 09:55 PM
    Power Poster

Fantastic quilts
    Old 07-16-2010, 10:02 PM

Your quilts are very beautiful.