Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Hand Quilting >
  • Hand Quilting

• Hand Quilting

Old 07-17-2010, 05:05 AM

Your quilts and your hand stitching is beautiful.
    Old 07-17-2010, 05:23 AM

Your quilts absolutely take my breath away and are the most beautiful I have ever seen. I do not have the knowledge or the patience to hand quilt, and usually not the time. Most of my gifts need to be completed rather quickly. I wish I could do what you do because I admire the love that goes into it, but it will not likely happen for me. But my rule for gifts is that I have to create the entire piece myself - ie - free-motion, etc (no taking it to be quilted). I have a crazy quilt done by my great grandmother and I treasure it and her hard work of hand quilting. Please continue to fight for your craft at shows and do not let this artform die out. Again, your quilts are a treasure!!!!
    Old 07-17-2010, 05:38 AM

Amazing!!! I handquilt but machine piece and I understand where you are coming from . But whether it's machine or by hand I'm just so glad were in a quilt revival and that it is not a lost art!!!!
    Old 07-17-2010, 09:47 AM

At our latest guild quilt show which we have every 2 years...one room was dedicated only to hand quilted pieces...and the volunteers who worked there(myself included) pointed out to viewers that the quilts were totally hand quilted...we have both mind sets in our guild...hand and machine quilting and each has its own charms...personally I think we will always have both....saying that,your quilts are works of art.
    Old 07-17-2010, 09:51 AM

I totally agree with yourhueluna. There is a guild here in Saskatoon, you have to be a hand quilter to become a member.
    Old 07-17-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    OMG Rhuelina, your hand quilting is exquisite! All your echo quilting that looks like only 1/4" apart is indeed a lot of hard work! I handquilt too and like you I do have an appreciation for the beautiful machine quilting and I have just invested in a longarm machine myself. I agree that the all over meander doesn't do a thing for me either and definitely don't want to fall into that trap simply because it is quick and easy to do. For a quilt that will be roughly loved, a utility quilt and some charity work it is fine and a good way to get comfortable with longarming and machine quilting. But I feel so many quilters get stuck in a rut of doing that and nothing else.
    It takes a long time to handquilt and I have so many quilts inside of me that want to get out so I invested in a long arm. But I will still continue to hand quilt. I also agree that shows should judge handquilting as a category unto itself.
    Your quilts are beautiful I especially like your NY Beauty quilt with the concentric circles quilted all over. Do you quilt with a lap hoop or do you have a frame?
    Hi. Oh boy, someone that agrees with me completely.

I don't use any kind of frame. It slows me down. I just pin it really well or baste if I am in the mood. Then I sit in my spot on the couch with me ott lite and quilt away. I have learned to feel the back to make sure I am getting it straight. I tried a frame and it just got in my way. Most of my quilts I hand quilt in sections and then sew the sections together. That way I can take them with me. The backings are mostly in my stash that I have lost fondness for and just make large squares and sew them together. A lot of comments on that when they see the back. It uses up the stuff I no longer want to use on the front. I have a giant stash, so I can do that. :)
    Here is an example.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-75374.jpe   attachment-75375.jpe  
    Old 07-17-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Greeter Eva
    I totally agree with yourhueluna. There is a guild here in Saskatoon, you have to be a hand quilter to become a member.
    I would love that. Sounds too far away.
    Old 07-17-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by maggiemuggins
    At our latest guild quilt show which we have every 2 years...one room was dedicated only to hand quilted pieces...and the volunteers who worked there(myself included) pointed out to viewers that the quilts were totally hand quilted...we have both mind sets in our guild...hand and machine quilting and each has its own charms...personally I think we will always have both....saying that,your quilts are works of art.
    Thats wonderful. We don't see that in our area. Maybe some day when people actually realize how rare it is getting.
    Old 07-17-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by SharonAnne
    Your quilts absolutely take my breath away and are the most beautiful I have ever seen. I do not have the knowledge or the patience to hand quilt, and usually not the time. Most of my gifts need to be completed rather quickly. I wish I could do what you do because I admire the love that goes into it, but it will not likely happen for me. But my rule for gifts is that I have to create the entire piece myself - ie - free-motion, etc (no taking it to be quilted). I have a crazy quilt done by my great grandmother and I treasure it and her hard work of hand quilting. Please continue to fight for your craft at shows and do not let this artform die out. Again, your quilts are a treasure!!!!
    Thank you. You may be surprised at how you can do it in strips and connect the strips. You get more done and can take it along. I do understand making the quilts for people that will use them a lot. Thats different than an heirloom. However if you do fancy intriquite work with a machine it can also be an heirloom. Depends on the project I guess.
    Old 07-17-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by dgray
    Your quilts and your hand stitching is beautiful.
    Thank you very much. Its my therapy. :)