Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Hand Quilting >
  • Hand Quilting

• Hand Quilting

Old 07-17-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
    you do beautiful handwork. I've done lapquilts by hand but not as detailed as yours. To me handquilting is just calming. I have a big lapquilt now that I am itching to sandwich up and spend some time handquilting.
    I agree. I sit at my spot on the couch with strips of blocks and quilt them one strip at a time so I can get close to them without a big pile on my lap. Then stitch the strips together right sides together and slip stitch the backing in back. Works well and easy to take with you. Most of my quilts are done that way.
    Old 07-17-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by msariano
    First, I think your quilts are gorgeous. I've loved that old butterfly pattern and always want to make it, and now, thanks to you, I'm digging it out and will start cutting it tonight or this weekend.!!
    I too am impressed with the good machine quilting (Harriet Hargrave and Diane Gaudinsky come to mind) and lament those quilts with big curliques and swirls that detract from the quilt. Currently, I do both machine and hand piecing and must say that I have better control over my work with hand piecing. I think it's a matter of patience and whether one buys into the notion that nowadays everything must be quick, quick or one is wasting time.
    sounds like you understand me too. I love the fancy work some people can do with those big machines and it looks like a lot of fun if you can afford one. My little sewing machine doesn't give me the control like they have with those big machines. And besides, I love sitting here quilting by hand in strips and then connecting the finished strips to make the whole quilt.

I guess these days, they whip them out and give them to everyone which is fine. But if its an heirloom, they need to slow down and make it special. :)
    Old 07-17-2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Margie
    Your quilts are fabulous. I dont think anything is as pretty as hand quilting, however, I know I have arthritis in my hands and by the time I finsh hand sewing the binding on the back of a quilt,,,,,My hands hurt. So hand quilting (even if I knew how)a whole quilt, would be out of the question. Your work is beautiful!
    Thank you! Consider doing it in strips that you don't have that heavy pile on your lap to move around. Thats what I do. But I don't have arthritis so its easy for me to say. Machine quilting can be really pretty if its not just whipped out quickly to get it over with. Thats how some of them look to me. Then there are the ones that do the beautiful artwork machine quilting. Thats different.
    Old 07-17-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    Originally Posted by rhueluna
    What is happening to handwork? All we see now at quilt shows is machine work. I am keeping up the best I can to show handwork as the way to go. But I know the big machine makers are pushing for machine work to sell their goods. I love the intricate designs they make on the heavily machine quilted quilts and think its a real work of art. But to take a hand pieced old fabric quilt top and hit it with a bunch of loops on a machine breaks my heart. Each way has its own field. I wished someone would put handwork areas of the quilt shows to show off the hard work we hand quilters do. Here are a few of my hand quilted items I hope you like. I wonder what others have to say about it. I know when I talk to other hand quilters, they feel the same way and we are not noticed for the hard work. Keep up the good work all you hand quilters. And keep up the great art of the small machine designs that are so beautiful. But the whip em out big loops don't do a thing for me. I wonder what you all think.
    I am learning to hand quilt right now. I am working on a full size patriotic QAYG. I think the history of quilting is important to preserve. I appreciate the beauty of the machine quilted projects and know there should always be progress to keep quilting alive, but give me a hand quilted quilt any time.

BTW: Your quilting is beautiful and an inspiration to me.
    Thank you! Good luck with your quilt.
    Old 07-17-2010, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by dgray
    Your quilts and your hand stitching is beautiful.
    Thank you very much.
    Old 07-17-2010, 10:23 AM

I would love to learn to hand quilt! I need to sign up for a class... Your work is amazing and has inspired me!
    Old 07-17-2010, 10:32 AM

I'm so confused on doing this in strips. I am starting the Farmer's Wife Sampler and decided to do this by hand from start to finish as that is what was done in the 1920's, but I have no clue how you would be able to do this in strips without it being obvious or really noticable. Thanks for any input you could give me for this.
    Old 07-17-2010, 11:13 AM

Your work is beautiful, but some of us who used to handquilt can't do it anymore so we machine quilt.
    Old 07-17-2010, 11:19 AM

These are all beautiful and you can see that they are done with much love and care. I used to knot a lot of my quilts but with my hands so bad now it is just easier to use a machine
    Old 07-17-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by dettonlisas
    I would love to learn to hand quilt! I need to sign up for a class... Your work is amazing and has inspired me!
    Thank you. You will get addicted and not want to do it any other way I think. Making the strips and connecting them after they are quilted works so well, and makes you want to do it more because you don't have that big pile to work on. The ones you see are all done that way.