Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Hand Quilting >
  • Hand Quilting

• Hand Quilting

Old 07-15-2010, 11:10 AM

I have to agree with you. The last time I went to a quilt show I was disappointed that I didn't see more handquilted items. I know everyone is pressed for time --- I was feeling the pressure, too. "Gotta make more --- Hurry up -- everyone and their dog wants a quilt!" I put the brakes on that. I put my sewing machine away and started doing hand work. I have 2 projects under way now - both are English Paper Piecing and both will be hand quilted -- and I will be keeping both of them for myself - well...one for me, one for my hubby. That decision relieved a lot of stress I had put on myself. I finally figured it out --- A. the longer the project takes - the less fabric I have to buy (that helps my budget) -- B. the longer I get to enjoy the project -- C. the more satisfied I am with the project and D. the more precious the quilt will be cuz I didn't crank them out like an assembly line. LOL And the final question for myself was "Just what is the big hurry anyway?" I should have many years to develop the skills that you have and I'm looking forward to it. I think I was on my way to 'burn out' if I hadn't made the decision to change my ways.
    Old 07-15-2010, 11:35 AM

Although I can appreciate hand quilting, I don't care for the "look" of it and really prefer the artistry of good machine quilting. I decorated modern and don't care for antiques, country decor etc. I think it's important that if you hand quilters want to keep your art going, that you don't put down machine quilters and make comments like "it makes me sick" etc. It's definitely a put-off IMHO when people make disparaging comments about other people's art forms and preferences. Like I mentioned, I don't care for hand quilting, but I'd never make snarky comments about it.
    Old 07-15-2010, 11:53 AM

Your work is absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing this.
    Old 07-15-2010, 12:01 PM
    farscapegal

Your work is beautiful but I don't like doing handwork. When I made clothes I always got my mother to sew on buttons for me. I have done handwork in the past but I prefer machine quilting all the way. I think it can be as beautiful as some handwork. To each his own.

Sybil

Old 07-15-2010, 12:05 PM

All your work is truly beautiful. And I especially love the New York Beauty or Mariner's Compass quilt. Everything is amazing!! Thanks for sharing!
    Old 07-15-2010, 12:28 PM

I agree 100%. Truer words have not been spoken. Beautiful work.
    Old 07-15-2010, 12:31 PM

Absolutely beautiful!!!!! I am a hand quilter learning to machine quilt. I no longer hand quilt gifts unless I really know the person appreciates the time I spent making it.
    I think each has it's place. For me hand quilting is more relaxing than machine quilting. But, I do agree a lot of quilters do not want to spend the time to learn the talent. My first quilt was a whole cloth and it took me 3 years to complete. Working, single parent.
    AND one of the popular magazines had a baby quilt contest and all winners were machine quilted. The beautiful (IMO) hand quilted whole cloth did not even get an honorable mention.
    Machine quilting is not as easy as it looks, it is a completely different skill set that takes time to learn.
    I still love the look of hand quilting much better, we all have different tastes, thank goodness!!!!
    Are the butterflies Alice Brooks (1935??) they are lovely. They are on my 'to do' list.
    Old 07-15-2010, 12:37 PM

At quilt shows that I have gone to over the last 3 years - I would say that just over half the quilts were hand quilted.

My personal preference is for hand quilting, and this the form I craft that I create. I do enjoy machine quilting where the overall design is enhanced. What machine quilters create is pretty amazing (and different) to what we can achieve. I have a friend that uses "thread painting" as her quilting method - and her work is outstanding.

I adore seeing what other hand quilters do - you have done an amazing job on those quilts. Just gorgeous :)
    Old 07-15-2010, 12:43 PM

I cannot express how beautiful your work is :thumbup: :thumbup: I bow to you :thumbup:
    Old 07-15-2010, 12:48 PM
    Power Poster

Your work is stunning. For many years I did hand quilting only. Now I am breaking into machine work and loving it. There is place for both. Thanks for sharing.