Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Hand Quilting >
  • Hand Quilting

• Hand Quilting

Old 07-16-2010, 09:08 AM

Your quilts are a true work of art!! Yes, I agree with you, hand quilting and machine quilting should be in two separate and distinct categories, just like any other art form! Your pieces should be in a museum! But, that's why I like I like machine quilting, you feel like you can use the quilts, touch them, love them, not just look at the them. So, both types of quilting are good. I would never use a quilt that you made, just admire it, and understand how much work went into the final piece.
    I love your work!! It's so beautiful!
    Old 07-16-2010, 09:53 AM

Your quilts are beautiful. I hand quilt also. I am repairing vintage quilts made by my Grannie. She would have a fit if I machine quilted on them. I was surprised to find one side of the binding done by machine!
    Old 07-16-2010, 10:11 AM

I agree that there should be a category at quilt shows for all hand quilted and pieced quilts. Yours are absolutely amazing. How long does it take to hand quilt a large quilt. I would like to try it but would probably have to start small
    Old 07-16-2010, 10:25 AM

I would love to learn how to Hand Quilt!! ;)
    Old 07-16-2010, 11:18 AM

I may be being old-fashioned about this but I still prefer hand quilted quilts. I'm not saying I don't also admire machine quilters also, I just like the look of hand quilting better. I'm also considering the extra time hand quilting takes.
    Old 07-16-2010, 11:20 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Crickett Sweet
    First of all. let me say the your work is absolutely beautiful. However, I must throw in my point of view. I disagree that hand quilters are not appreciated. I was at a show over the weekend and even though there were only a few had quilted pieces, they were certainly well noticed and appreciated. For many of us, if a quilt had to be finished by hand, it would not get done. We have busy lives, arthritis, whatever. This is 2010 and we do have machines to quilt with. Please do not try to make us feel guilty for using them or make us feel that our work is not worthy, Hand quilting is a beautiful art but Machine quilted Quilts are also quite beautiful. We should not be made to feel like second class artists because we use differen tools.

No one can "make" anyone feel guilty. Feeling guilty we do all on our own.
    ;)
    Old 07-16-2010, 11:26 AM

Those quilts are amazing!

I really admire hand quilters, I would love to hand quilt one of mine someday, but I am very intimidated.

I do agree with you that shows should have separate sections for machine and hand quilted peices. They are two different art forms in my opinion. Both have different techniques.

I don't think one is better than the other though, bit like chalk and cheese :D
    Old 07-16-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Crickett Sweet
    First of all. let me say the your work is absolutely beautiful. However, I must throw in my point of view. I disagree that hand quilters are not appreciated. I was at a show over the weekend and even though there were only a few had quilted pieces, they were certainly well noticed and appreciated. For many of us, if a quilt had to be finished by hand, it would not get done. We have busy lives, arthritis, whatever. This is 2010 and we do have machines to quilt with. Please do not try to make us feel guilty for using them or make us feel that our work is not worthy, Hand quilting is a beautiful art but Machine quilted Quilts are also quite beautiful. We should not be made to feel like second class artists because we use differen tools.
    As you said this is 2010 and we have machines to quilt with, but let's not forget that when sewing machines first came out women jumped at the chance to use them. Machine quilting has always been practised for as long as there have been machines and are definately not second class artists, they are maintaining a tradition, just like hand quilters.

I get terrible RSI from using computers in my job (as a librarian would you believe) and although I would love to try hand quilting, I'm scared it would flare up my wrists.

So please, don't feel guilty. Machine quilters are appreciated too. All quilters should be appreciated. I love everyone!

:XD: Ok, I think I've gone a bit OTT, but you see what I'm saying?
    Old 07-16-2010, 11:36 AM

Yes, and an heirloom is also anything treasured that's handed down. I don't agree that an heirloom is a necessarily a hand quilted quilt. If so, I'd better attach a note to all my quilts that states, "swiftly burn this quilt upon my death as I don't want it becoming an heirloom ." :wink:

There are plenty of people out there that would find no heirloom quality in any quilt..gasp, there are many who really could care less about them, period.

I consider anything made by my hands- pushing through a machine or not, hand made. Actually, feet made too as they pushed the pedal. I admire hand quilters and their art, and I love my art form for it's beauty, too:>
    Old 07-16-2010, 11:43 AM

Your quilts are beautiful, but I love quilts regardless of how they're made. I never even bother to check whether something is hand made or machine made. There was a time when we had to spin our own thread and weave our own cloth. Those days are over. Not everyone has the patience or the ability (think arthritis) to do hand work. If I had to do hand work, I wouldn't be able to quilt. That would be a shame because I love it so much.