Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Help with frustrating design >
  • Help with frustrating design

• Help with frustrating design

Old 08-19-2013, 11:44 AM

i would put car fabric on back. but 40" wide is a little narrow for even a twin bed IMHO. just sayin.
    Old 08-19-2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lafpeaches
    I like it how you have it laid out with the orange as the first border. Maybe you could also use the blue polka dot as the binding. Is your son a quilter too? My DH always has suggestions. I told him he needs to start quilting.
    My son is a graphic artist, I can always rely on his opinion, he's very gifted.
    Old 08-19-2013, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    I don't agree with your son. I do not think the cars fabric is too busy to be next to the star. It is hard to tell for sure without auditioning it. But I think a narrow border of the orange say 2 to 3" then a very narrow white like 1" finished then the car fabric would be great for a 3 year old. It would result in a much wider quilt though. Your center is already 38". If you are looking to finish at 40" wide that only allows you 1" on either side. So I would rethink you finished dimensions of only 40" wide. Perhaps a 60" by 90" would look nicer with multiple borders. That car fabric needs to be at least 6" wide judging by the picture and size of print.

I think it will make your Carpenters Star sparkle and brighten up as well, that polka dot seems to dull it out just a bit. Use the polka dot for the backing and it would make fun binding too.
    I wasn't clear about the mattress size, the mattress itself is 40" x 90"
    Old 08-19-2013, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Baloonatic
    What a great job on that Carpenter's Star! And now I guess I'll throw out another alternative for you to mull over... how about using the red instead of orange? Somehow I just don't think the orange is quite it to frame and separate... I guess it looks a little dull to me. The red adds excitement and IMHO makes the quilt more of a child's quilt, whereas the orange just lies there and is more suitable for an older person
    How did you do this ?
    Old 08-19-2013, 12:41 PM

Thanks so much all your input, what great ideas!! My daughter in law didn't like the red, even the middle part, ugh! I am going to have to stare at this until it all comes together. I would really like to know how Baloonatic did that drawing, I need that tool????
    Old 08-19-2013, 06:33 PM
    Power Poster

I like the last pic
    Old 08-19-2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie
    Thanks so much all your input, what great ideas!! My daughter in law didn't like the red, even the middle part, ugh! I am going to have to stare at this until it all comes together. I would really like to know how Baloonatic did that drawing, I need that tool????
    I believe she used her "snipping tool" that is on her computer. (It takes a picture of whatever you highlight & turns it into a jpeg file.) Then she named it, saved it and opened it up in her paint or photoshop program, drew around the quilt with red, saved it again & posted it. Or else she usd magic. LOL. By the way, your DGS will love the quilt however you finish it. (And if the parents want something else, you can make one for them. Just kidding.)
    Old 08-19-2013, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by fmhall2
    I think this is the best idea so far - the red adds a whole lot to the quilt that the orange didn't. But please don't put the cars on the back. Put top and bottom of the star.
    I agree with krafty14 and fmhall2; the red really adds zing to the star, and then the cars fabric will complete the quilt. Use the dotty fabric for the binding, and maybe the back.
    Old 08-21-2013, 02:40 PM

Oh Heck, I am going to use the red border around the star then the polka dot, then a small border around the edge of the cars. Thanks everyone for all your input, you have no idea how helpful all your comments were to me.