Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Help w/color for FWSQ sashing, pix on pgs. 1 & 3 >
  • Help w/color for FWSQ sashing, pix on pgs. 1 & 3

• Help w/color for FWSQ sashing, pix on pgs. 1 & 3

Old 10-20-2010, 05:01 PM

Seems the vote is pretty split. At least I feel like I'm not way off base with either of them. Thanks for upping my confidence!

Based on suggestions made, here are some other choices. I keep waiting for one option to jump up and holler, "Ooh, ooh, pick me, pick me!". Here are chocolate brown, light beige, and a lighter green option (again, just a color representative . . . not going to use a plaid print).
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-98424.jpe   attachment-98425.jpe   attachment-98426.jpe  
    Old 10-20-2010, 05:09 PM

i think the green is very pretty, but then again i am in a "get ready for Christmas state of mind". I still think it is pretty with either one
    Old 10-20-2010, 05:55 PM

not any of these 3....still like the blue the best.
    Old 10-20-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
    Of the two, I like the blue; however, that could be because the green reads as near-Black on my screen. How about a Rich Brown? Not dark, but chocolaty. although that might dull the red. Your work is absolutely beautiful, btw.
    I agree, a nice rich chocolate or dark chocolate color would to me be better. I think that either color would work. only on the blue there are a couple that you start to loose the square on and the green just seems a little off for some reason. but I do like how the dark color makes everything stand out nicely. your blocks are wonderful though. just saw your post. I like the dark brown the best. it seems to help all the blocks stand out the best. so far. but keep going with different colors until you get the one that screams at you and hits you with a 2x4. that way you will be sure.
    Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 PM
    Power Poster

Blocks are fantastic...a lot of choices here. I generally like a dark palette, but in this case I keep going back and looking at the ones with the lighter (blue or beige) background. True the dark toned background really makes the blocks pop and makes them somehow quite individual. The lighter background makes me want to look at the work as a whole, it kind of fragments the blocks...but then draws my eye back to each one. Hope this makes sense...Also the darker green does make it "Chrismassy" which is ok for Christmas...but would you want that year round? (yeah...bah humbug!!!).

Thanks for letting us chime in...and please keep us updated.
    Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 PM

I appreciate everyone's input. I keep going back over the pictures and I'm finding the chocolate brown to be rather intriguing. I never would have thought of trying that. Each of the other background colors directly relate to one of the four colors in my pallette and therefore whether on green, blue, or creamy colored fabrics, some blocks seem to get lost. The brown compliments each color but doesn't "match" any of them, allowing them all to stand out. It's definitely unexpected. Hmmm . . . thinking . . . .
    Old 10-20-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
    The lighter background makes me want to look at the work as a whole, it kind of fragments the blocks...but then draws my eye back to each one.
    I like this effect of the lighter backgrounds too. Never thought it would be this tough.
    Old 10-20-2010, 08:23 PM

Hi Connie Sews, I think the green plaid is too busy and has too much grey in it. A warmer medium green marbled fabric might be better. Maybe a narrow border of green then the blue. Take the blocks to a LQS and "try on different colors" That's what I'm going to do.

Which Moda line are your fabrics from?
    Old 10-20-2010, 08:23 PM

I like the green. I makes the reds stand out. Beautiful job and great fabric selection. congrats
    Old 10-20-2010, 08:25 PM

Hmmm; Maybe black? I liked how the dark brown made the colors of each block stand out but it didnt quite fit...so black?