Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • This is how I spent my snow day; how did you spend yours? >
  • This is how I spent my snow day; how did you spend yours?

• This is how I spent my snow day; how did you spend yours?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:09 AM

Are your fleece blankets just one layer of fleece, or are they a 3 piece layered sandwich? I made a 2 layer fleece blanket but had a very difficult time getting the 2 pieces of fleece to measure the same size. Everytime I measured the pieces, they changed!!! I want to make more, so help please.
    Old 01-11-2011, 06:19 AM

Are your fleece blankets just one layer of fleece, or are they a 3 piece layered sandwich? I made a 2 layer fleece blanket but had a very difficult time getting the 2 pieces of fleece to measure the same size. Everytime I measured the pieces, they changed!!! I want to make more, so help please.
    Old 01-11-2011, 06:22 AM
    Power Poster

Looks like you had fun.
    Old 01-11-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by rvsfan
    My blankets this time were just one layer of fleece. There are a few tricks to working with fleece. The first year I tried it was difficult too. And cutting them accurately can be a real pain if you do not have a large table to lay them out flat and smooth. I find for a double layer blanket that it helps me to get them straight and even in size if I lay them out flat in the way that I want them put together. So then I am cutting through two layers only and those layers will both be the same. Fleece is wide and bulky but it can be done once you get the hang of it.

So, I would lay one right side down to the floor or table and the other right side up (insides together). Then gently pat, smooth until there are no wrinkles and selvedge edges are even.

The tricky part is trimming evenly. You could slide your mat along underneath and trim with a ruler and rotary cutter (60 mm works better than 45 mm, but I have never had one). Or, you can snap a chalk line and cut with shears along that. Or you could use the edge of a straight table as a guide and trim with shears. However the easiest way for you to measure and mark a straight line. Most rulers are too short. You can tape two rulers together, use a T square, a yardstick, etc.

PM me if you need more help as I could write 2 or 3 pages on the subject.

For your double blankets how were you doing the edges? Tying?
    Old 01-11-2011, 07:02 AM

I sewed them RST and turned them then stitched close the opening. No actual quilting.
    Old 01-11-2011, 07:05 AM

Love seeing all your fleece blankets. I've never thought about putting appliques on fleece, but it is a nice touch. We learn so much from each other. :thumbup:
    Our driveway (about 1/8 mile) is a sheet of ice. DH walked up the drive just to have something to do. I did laundry and sewed all day yesterday. Plan to sew all day today too. And tomorrow if we still can't get out. Hardest part of my day will be deciding what to cook for dinner. :lol:
    Old 01-11-2011, 07:09 AM

Oh my goodness - I spent mine watching Auburn Football-Another love. War Eagle.
    Old 01-11-2011, 07:09 AM

Thanks for sharing. They are all great
    Old 01-11-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by rvsfan
    I sewed them RST and turned them then stitched close the opening. No actual quilting.
    Ok. That would work and I can see how that might have been difficult to handle. If you have a few small scraps, you might try putting two pieces right side out, insides together, trimming the same size and then just blanket stitch or zig zag around the edges. The nap of the fleece will help it "stick" together and your blanket will lie much more flat and even than if you have to turn it inside out and stitch the edges. As you mentioned, no quilting is needed.
    Old 01-11-2011, 07:27 AM

WOW, what a successful day!