Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • HQ Sixteen-New to Me! >
  • HQ Sixteen-New to Me!

• HQ Sixteen-New to Me!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
    I have been looking at the Sweet 16 because of space limitations. I am impressed with your idea for the table setup. What size and thickness of foam board did you use? I may use your idea for my Elna 7300. The wheels are really turning here!
    Because the area of my table is pretty large, I used 2 4'x8' sheets of "snap board" pink insulation foam. I chose 1 1/2" thickness because I needed the surface raised 3" to be flush with the top of the HQ sixteen bed. I used clear packing tape to tape the pieces together, then covered it fabric, then heavy weight clear plastic I got at the fabric department in Walmart. Clear packing tape holds the fabric and the plastic on as well.
    Old 11-02-2011, 11:29 AM

Arrow Jealous!

I'm green with envy but so glad you're enjoying your new machine.
    Old 11-02-2011, 06:52 PM
    Power Poster

Enjoy!!!!!!
    Old 11-03-2011, 02:45 PM

Wendy, I've been wanting a Sweet 16, but have a chance to buy an original 16 like yours from someone across the country. Do you know what the difference is, other than having the touch screen in a different place? Is the speed controller the same as on the Sweet16? Your set-up looks perfect! TIA for any answers you can provide....
    Dee
    Old 11-03-2011, 02:52 PM

Congratulations!! You will have sew much fun with it. I have a Sweet Sixteen and absolutely love it.
    Old 11-03-2011, 03:42 PM

Really liked the idea for your sewing table. Hubby and I went to both Lowes and Home Depot and neither of those stores carry the foam in 1 1/2" thick in our area. And the foam was a mint green color. I need a 3 1/2" rise for mine. We may just look for a table at garage sales we go to and revise it to nest my machine.
    Old 11-03-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by qltrbeagle
    Wendy, I've been wanting a Sweet 16, but have a chance to buy an original 16 like yours from someone across the country. Do you know what the difference is, other than having the touch screen in a different place? Is the speed controller the same as on the Sweet16? Your set-up looks perfect! TIA for any answers you can provide....
    Dee
    Dee,
    I'm not familiar with the features on the Sweet Sixteen, but I can tell you what I have on the original HQ Sixteen I have. I can change the needle up/down setting and set the maximum speed to whatever % that I'd like also. Those seem to be the only settings available when it's set up as a sit-down model. Mine did come with handles and wheels but I don't have frame so haven't hooked those up at all. I know you get another screen with the handles but I don't know what options are available there.
    Old 11-03-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by beckalou
    Really liked the idea for your sewing table. Hubby and I went to both Lowes and Home Depot and neither of those stores carry the foam in 1 1/2" thick in our area. And the foam was a mint green color. I need a 3 1/2" rise for mine. We may just look for a table at garage sales we go to and revise it to nest my machine.
    Beckalou,
    Your idea of nesting the machine into the table should would just fine also. My table is set up to nest my Juki machine so it wasn't possible to fit the HQ machine down into the table. That's why I went with building up the table surface for it instead. When I want to use the Juki in this table, I can lift off the machine and the foam pieces and drop the Juki into its spot.
    Old 11-03-2011, 04:38 PM
    Power Poster

That is quite a nifty set up. Looks like fun.
    Old 11-03-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by qltrbeagle
    Dee
    On the Sweet Sixteen the display is on the front (which I guess you already know). It controls the needle up and down and you can set the speed on it. Plus it has 3 preset speeds that you can change to what is comfortable for you (I'm not explaining it very well though). I'm not really sure if there are any real differences between the machines.