Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • I Almost Want To CRY!  Baby Jane drama! >
  • I Almost Want To CRY! Baby Jane drama!

• I Almost Want To CRY! Baby Jane drama!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:50 AM

I, myself, am working on a Dear Jane quilt with only 27 blocks left to make. I know how much work is involved and lets say, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I don't purchase Joanne's fabrics for quilts that I make. I had a similar experience, years ago with Joanne's fabric. After visiting a fabric factory, I became aware that the same fabric is made with different qualities. I now always purchase premium quality fabric at quilt shops. If I am going to spend all this time in making a quilt, I want to be sure that it lasts.
    Donna
    Old 06-18-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    Oh, no, that IS terrible!

One suggestion: Try to find a lightweight iron on stabilizer or interfacing and apply that to the back of some fabric and one or two of your existing blocks. See if that gives enough strength to go on with. In a book I just acquired, the author recommends Sulky Soft 'n Sheer stabilizer.

Good luck!

This is what I would try before replacing all the blocks. You will find this stabilizer in the embroidery section as it is used with embroidery machines. Really helps with the fabric.
    Old 06-18-2011, 10:35 AM

Hancocks of Paducah has Kona @ 5.99 yd. I would hope this is a better qualtity fabric.
    Old 06-19-2011, 08:06 AM

I used to work for Joann's and yes it's true that some of the management can give off the attitude of "not my problem" but the two different store where I worked had great managers. Both were more than willing to "make things right" for customers. Since it's been so long since the fabric was purchased, I don't know what can be done. I do feel bad for you especially after all the work you've put into your quilt. My suggestion would be to call the Joann's store where you purchased it, ask to speak with the manager, tell him/her what happened and ask what can be done about it. Sometimes it helps to stay calm but at the same time let them know you WANT some kind of resolution about the problem. If that doesn't work, go to Joann headquarters -- ask to speak to the complaint's department. I wish I could remember where that is but I don't. One last thing --- Please don't take out your frustration on the sales clerk. They had nothing to do with what happened to the fabric.

I"ll bet that something happened during the weaving process of the fabric that made this happen. Who knows.
    Old 06-19-2011, 08:32 AM

I saddens me when things like this happen. I worked for Joann's for several years at several different locations. I like Joann's. I do purchase a lot of my fabric there -- both for quilting and regular sewing. I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart due to a very bad experience regarding a perscription. I do go to LQS's but with my budget I don't go very often and when I do -- well lets just say they would not get rich off of me. I just can't afford them. I know a number of quilters that have bought from their LQS and have gotten bad fabric there as well. It happens. Its not the LQS's fault and it's not Joann's fault either. Stuff happens. For me, Joann's has good and bad quality. I
    avoid the bad by just feeling them. It starts way back at the manufacturer. They can receive bad stuff and may not realize this until after the fact.

I worked for another fabric store in this area years ago and what the owner would do is buy these huge package deal things from a manufacturer sight unseen and boy do we get some really BAD stuff. Some was so bad that was good enough for rags and that was about it. She would put a huge pice on it and was amazing how many people bought it and come back within a week (or less) and what either replacement fabric or their money back.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it happensat the LQS's as well at Joann's.
    Old 06-22-2011, 04:48 AM

Update:
    First, I want to thank everyone for all of your insight, excellent advice and sympathy! Thank you!

I finally got to Joann's and surprisingly it went very well. I spoke with the manager- showed her my blocks, the ripped fabric, and the yardage I had left over; the next thing I knew we were at the cutting table measuring the fabric I had leftover. She acknowledged that it was defective and offered to exchange it but I declined and requested store credit instead- which she agreed to. I couldn't believe how easily it all went- kudos to Joanns. I'm just happy not to be stuck with 4+ yards of useless fabric. Now I need to make some decisions about what I'm going to use for the background of my New Jane quilt....back to the drawing board! I will also try the stabilizer that everyone mentioned and make a small wallhanging out of the block I have finished so far.

Again...thank you everyone for your kind words of support & expertise- another reason I love the Quilting Board!
    Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 AM

i am glad you have been able to turn a lemon into lemonaid.
    Old 06-22-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
    So sorry to here of this sad happening. Make A wall hanging from the thirty blocks or two 16 block wallhangings and enjoy them that way.

One thing about fabric, if you can see the outline of your hand or your skintone through it, it is to thin to use no matter whos name is on the lable.

Be careful at Joanns. I have found material that has been folded onto the wrong cardboards; you think your buying $6.00 per yd fabric and it tickets up at $10.00. Some less than shady people try to save a few bucks by changing fabric onto cheap priced boards and some times the sales people wrap fabric onto the wrong board. It happens.
    peace :D
    I do not agree with this at all. I worked for Joann's for a number of years. Yes I agree that this happens but not for the reason stated above. I came across this several times while working BUT not because of shady people. Sometimes fabric was put on the wrong bolt by younger sales associates because of carelessness and those that didn't read. I myself have done the same thing because the original bolt had been tossed or would no longer stand up. I would hand write the info on the end of the old bolt to the new one. Sometimes I would get interrupted by a customer and not get to this right away and in the mean time another sales associate would pick it up and put it away.

I am offended that you feel Joann's sales associates could be shady people. Am I loyal to Joann's -- I suppose I am. This is pretty much the only fabric store that I can afford in this economy. I don't go to the LQS very often as I can't afford the $10, $12 and $15 a yard fabric. If I want to continue my quilting this is where I go. I check out the quality of the fabric and and if it's not to my liking, I don't buy it. As of yet (knock on wood) I have had very few if any problems with their fabric.