Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • I Almost Want To CRY!  Baby Jane drama! >
  • I Almost Want To CRY! Baby Jane drama!

• I Almost Want To CRY! Baby Jane drama!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:54 AM

I had that happen once when the fabric was old. Very disappointing.
    Old 06-14-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    Oh, no, that IS terrible!

Please remember, when you go back to Joann's, that it is not the fault of the employees that you speak to -- they are just cogs in a machine. Cold, steely, controlled anger and persistence is the best way to communicate. Ask to speak to the store manager, and go back if necessary to find that person in. Sorry to preach, but I cringe for mere sales clerks who are the subject of someone's anger.

One suggestion: Try to find a lightweight iron on stabilizer or interfacing and apply that to the back of some fabric and one or two of your existing blocks. See if that gives enough strength to go on with. In a book I just acquired, the author recommends Sulky Soft 'n Sheer stabilizer.

Good luck!
    Thank you for the advice-"Cold, steely, controlled anger and persistence is the best way to communicate." I like that! I used to work in the customer service industry so I know how it feels to be vented on. I won't do that- I will only open a can of whoop a$$ if I don't get the results I want- my money back!

Thank you everyone for your empathy. I knew you would all understand my frustration.

I'll have to give the stabilizer a try. I suppose for a wall hanging it would be safe to use these. But I actually want to use my Jane quilt so this fabric just won't do.
    Old 06-14-2011, 09:23 AM

I think it must be a defective batch of fabric I buy muslin all of the time at Joannes and have never had this problem I would go back and show them what is happening
    Old 06-14-2011, 09:28 AM

That's awful. On the positive side it's a good thing you found out now and
    not later. Still hurts though. Do we have to tug on the fabric before we start
    sewing now? Sheesh.
    Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 AM

I'm so very sorry this happened to you and wasted your valuable time and effort. Sounds like good advice is rolling in. Good of you to warn others.
    Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    One suggestion: Try to find a lightweight iron on stabilizer or interfacing and apply that to the back of some fabric and one or two of your existing blocks. See if that gives enough strength to go on with. In a book I just acquired, the author recommends Sulky Soft 'n Sheer stabilizer.

Good luck!
    I was thinking this as well... Maybe that will at least give it some strength?
    Old 06-14-2011, 01:34 PM

I've purchased the garden variety muslin from JoAnn's and not had any problems with it. And I bought a whole bolt of the 118" premium Kona unbleached muslin from JoAnn's that I'm using for my cathedral window quilt. So far it seems to be fine. I certainly hope you get the problem figured out. And I'm glad you discovered the problem before the quilt was all finished and put together!!!
    Old 06-14-2011, 01:50 PM

I am so sorry for your troubles. Kona cotton should feel quite firm to the touch, and the fabric you have posted looks as if it is quite thin and has a lot of frays. Doesn't really look like premium Kona cotton to me - maybe it got mislabled? Your blocks look wonderful, and I hope you finish this wonderful quilt without any more frustrations.
    Old 06-14-2011, 02:04 PM
    Power Poster

So sorry to here of this sad happening. Make A wall hanging from the thirty blocks or two 16 block wallhangings and enjoy them that way.

One thing about fabric, if you can see the outline of your hand or your skintone through it, it is to thin to use no matter whos name is on the lable.

Be careful at Joanns. I have found material that has been folded onto the wrong cardboards; you think your buying $6.00 per yd fabric and it tickets up at $10.00. Some less than shady people try to save a few bucks by changing fabric onto cheap priced boards and some times the sales people wrap fabric onto the wrong board. It happens.
    peace :D
    Old 06-14-2011, 02:54 PM

Oh No! How discouraging! I felt bad when I had to remade a few blocks because the stitching was not precise...I can't imagine how you are feeling! I'm so sorry.

Vanessa in Oklahoma