Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • I Almost Want To CRY!  Baby Jane drama! >
  • I Almost Want To CRY! Baby Jane drama!

• I Almost Want To CRY! Baby Jane drama!

Old 06-15-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    Oh, no, that IS terrible!

Please remember, when you go back to Joann's, that it is not the fault of the employees that you speak to -- they are just cogs in a machine. Cold, steely, controlled anger and persistence is the best way to communicate. Ask to speak to the store manager, and go back if necessary to find that person in. Sorry to preach, but I cringe for mere sales clerks who are the subject of someone's anger.

One suggestion: Try to find a lightweight iron on stabilizer or interfacing and apply that to the back of some fabric and one or two of your existing blocks. See if that gives enough strength to go on with. In a book I just acquired, the author recommends Sulky Soft 'n Sheer stabilizer.

Good luck!
    Another good stabilizer is SF101 fusible made by Pellon. Also sold at JoAnns.
    Old 06-15-2011, 06:23 AM

OK.. I've read all of the comments and here are mine.. I have had something similar happen with a quilt that my grandmother made for me.. but I'll tell you this up front... I don't think that fabric is 100% cotton. most times this kind of "shattering" happens to polyester blends the polyester fabric deteriorates faster than cotton and "gives up".. which is why I won't use it. also the weight of the fabric from the pictures reminds me of this. My whole "drunkard's path" quilt is doing this.. yep.. it's all cotton polyester blend, and was stitched back in the early 70's. To test the fabric you can burn a few threads or a small (1/4" square or so)piece.. then rub the ash between your fingers.. cotton should produce a fine soft powder.. if there is any synthetic in it, it will melt and make hard kind of beads. That will at least let you know if you even got cotton.. shattering that I can only see happening on VERY OLD fabric or poor quality to begin with.
    Old 06-15-2011, 06:39 AM

I am so sorry that this happened to you. Your blocks are beautiful. You should make the wall hanging with them. You can still use the muslin. Use it to make strip quilts or crazy quilts as the foundation.

If you still have the receipts I would definitely take it back to JoAnn's and show them what happened. They may give you your money back and they may not. It is worth a try.
    Old 06-15-2011, 06:43 AM

It looks like the fabric is rotted. Normal fabric wouldn't tear like that. I would take the remainder of the bolt back to JoAnn's and see if they would at least exchange it for better quality. Since you don't have the receipt that may be all they will do.
    Old 06-15-2011, 06:44 AM

You will have a beautiful wall hanging if you stabilize it. What you have already done is so pretty. Good luck.
    Old 06-15-2011, 07:30 AM

You might want to check out thelynnbrown.com site. She has a great technique doing the block by applique. She found her grandmothers quilt in tatters and decided to duplicate it. She increased the block size from 4" to 6" and came up with a new applique technique. Check it out - it is very nice. No ripping for sure.
    Old 06-15-2011, 07:53 AM

I agree with those suggesting stabilizer, after all isn't its purpose to add strength to fabric. I certainly would not give up on the project. Stabilize it, finish it and hang it in your home as a work of art. You will know how best to care for it over the years (and no one need know about the problem)
    Good luck
    Old 06-15-2011, 08:29 AM

I have bought "premium Kona muslin" at both Joann's and my LQS and do not see any difference at all. I was very frustrated.

I would suggest you try using Kona Bay cream (NOT Kona cream) for future blocks. The Dear Jane journey is long but worth it!

The leftover muslin, I think I would advertise on e-bay with a caveat that it is lightweight.
    Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Judyqnb
    You might want to check out thelynnbrown.com site. She has a great technique doing the block by applique. She found her grandmothers quilt in tatters and decided to duplicate it. She increased the block size from 4" to 6" and came up with a new applique technique. Check it out - it is very nice. No ripping for sure.
    you need to provide an actual link as google came up with nothing quilt related to the artist Lynnbrown!
    Old 06-15-2011, 09:24 AM

Oh brother this is terrible. You would be doing us all a favor by returning this flawed fabric to Joann's. Your quilt looks so good that you might want to try the stabilizer idea. I'm so miffed off for you.