Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks >
  • I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks

• I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks

Old 06-30-2011, 07:41 PM

Just to make you feel better, I have three rooms like that. And two are not sewing rooms but contain the overflow. Hubby says it is an obstical (sp) course just to get around the house. I bought some vintage machines to restore and started several projects back in April. Then my boss decided I needed to work weekends as well as full time all week. Hense disaster and nothing is finished or restored. I wanted to sew this weekend to relax but I think clean up has to be first.
    Old 06-30-2011, 07:59 PM

goodness, never feel ashamed for having a used sewing room lol - if it were pin neat we'd think you never sewed at all! As long as you're recovering, can you pull up a chair and just sit for a bit and sort thru things?
    If you can't afford anything at all, most groceries have boxes they have to break up to get rid of. Just ask and they'll give you any amt.
    sit in your living rm first and do a drawing of the rm. actually use a grid - you can print them out for free, then you can get the size of the room exact. (sounds a little boring, but when we redid the house hubs was working away from home thru most of it, and after moving furniture in one rm most of one day I got smart - just moved it stuff around on paper and saved my body)
    once you have a plan, then get bxs, get a chair and start. you can keep the small stuff, books etc on the bkshelf where you have it, but if you dont use it often box it. Label all boxes and write whats in it on the outside - 2 weeks after "its" put up you will forget where "it" is.

sort thru your fabric and put up as you like, but it looks as if all it needs is picking up a bit. Don't stress about anything, you're recouping - enjoy your sewing room, not all of us have one we dont have to share as other spaces. sharet
    Old 06-30-2011, 08:22 PM

First of all you need to get back on your feet before you start to worry about your sewing room. Looks good to me only need to pick up slightly. Take care of yourself first, so you are able to do what you need down the road. I have two rooms upstairs and 1 downstairs that are really bad. yours are nowhere near bad. Wished mine looked like yours. My DD is coming home tomorrow and hopefully we will get it organized. I have big storage units in one room upstairs and then a desk that I plan on using to sew with, but need to move stuff around first. Have on=e room with carpet that has a bunch of boxes that need sorting out and then can move into that one from the other. I would like to set up my sewing in the downstairs room but is so small and DH says we are not moving our bed in there. would be better for our bedroom and use the bigger room for sewing office room. Take care. It takes time for healing, but it will all come out in the wash like my Grandma used to say.
    Old 06-30-2011, 08:24 PM

Nothing to be ashamed of, we have all been there! I'm still there!! LOL :thumbup: I just don't think I have a way out, Hmmm do I want out? NOPE! Hope your recovery is smooth sailing!
    Old 06-30-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
    Now granted...I just had knee surgery 3 weeks ago and I work full time. But for the last 3 weeks I have not been workin due to the surgery. But I look at all of these beautiful organized rooms and feel so ashamed! So looking at the pics the first being as you look to the right entering the room (which is only about 9ft x 10 ft) and the next pics sweep over the room...anyone have any suggestions? I can't afford anything to help me organize it as I have not made any money in 3 weeks and I support myself. But if anyone has suggestions I am sure open to them! It looks like a pig sty to me! I thought if I post here I may get some ideas!
    Simple solution! Throw it all in boxes and send it to me!! :lol: :lol:
    Old 06-30-2011, 10:15 PM

Anyone that does organizing will tell you, take one corner and 15 minutes and then go back to whatever else you we're do ing.Before you know it, you,re room will be neat...and believe me I am always in a 15min mode every time I go down stairs! Lol. It really does work. Get well, don,t over work that knee.
    Old 06-30-2011, 10:22 PM

I agree that if you know some other quilters, they would probably be glad to help organize. You just have to bite the bullet and ask. It really helped to have other people help me. It's been a year now and still looking pretty goodk, at least I can find everything. LOL
    Old 06-30-2011, 10:39 PM

Do hope you are feeling better - your sewing room looks well used - that would be my excuse, whenever I decide to have a tidy up I can never find anything again for ages so if you know where everything is - DON'T WORRY OVER IT
    Old 06-30-2011, 11:03 PM

Hope the knee gets better soon !!!

LOL... would post a pict but too messy to show to the general public ;) like to store fab flat on the shelfs, I use cardboard boxes to separate the folded pieces, baskets to toss extra strips and reminants in, the large clear plastic totes get tucked under the table for large yardage, or those I can't part with, 2 gal baggies for PHD/ufo's so parts and pieces don't get lost. labled tins for bits and pieces, markers, needles, elastic, etc.
    Also go thru and clean it all once in a while, not always between projects.
    If company comes just shut the door :-) If mom mentions it mention how much bookshelfs would be a help. :)

Have a Great Holiday !!
    Old 07-01-2011, 12:39 AM

Don't be hard on yourself, hope you feel better.