Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • I Finished it!!! >
  • I Finished it!!!

• I Finished it!!!

Old 08-04-2009, 03:33 PM

12 quilt shops in 16 days? Who planned you itinerary? :mrgreen: Did you smoke you plastic? :lol: [/quote]

Smoked?! I'll tell you it very nearly melted into a puddle!!!!! Actually we were driving back to PA from CA. I have the Quilters Travel Companion and decided that I wanted to try to hit a Quilt shop in every state we passed through. My wonderful, encouraging DH made it his mission to see that it happened!!! He kept saying "Is that all you're getting?" Tried to explain that I wanted to save up cause there were more shops! Now my goal is to make a wall hanging vacation sampler quilt with a block of some type for each state using the material purchased there....hopefully it will get done before vacation time next year! :-)
    Old 08-04-2009, 05:20 PM

I think it's GORGEOUS! Your colors are perfect!
    Old 08-04-2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
    12 quilt shops in 16 days? Who planned you itinerary? :mrgreen: Did you smoke you plastic? :lol:

Smoked?! I'll tell you it very nearly melted into a puddle!!!!! Actually we were driving back to PA from CA. I have the Quilters Travel Companion and decided that I wanted to try to hit a Quilt shop in every state we passed through. My wonderful, encouraging DH made it his mission to see that it happened!!! He kept saying "Is that all you're getting?" Tried to explain that I wanted to save up cause there were more shops! Now my goal is to make a wall hanging vacation sampler quilt with a block of some type for each state using the material purchased there....hopefully it will get done before vacation time next year! :-) [/quote]

You've got a gem of a DH. He's a keeper. Did I dream it or is there such a thing as a block for each state. Wouldn't it be great if you could make the block with the fabrics that you bought in that state? OK, am I dreaming, or is there really a block for each state? :oops:
    Old 08-04-2009, 07:33 PM

Actually I think there are blocks named for each state. I am definitely going to use the Ohio Star, and Road to Oklahoma. I also believe a Texas lonestar would work but may be beyond my skill level right now. For New Mexico, Arizona at least, I am going to try my hand at a small landscape appliques as I got material that would work for the mesa's, and the strata of rocks in the Grand canyon, and the giant sequoias in CA. In a shop in Paducah, KY the owner said one of their customers had designed a block called Paducah pennies, but she couldn't find the pattern...has anyone heard of it? Much of our route followed or paralleled the famous RT 66 and I have some material with that theme, some like a cream and beige road map and some with the route signs and cars, etc. I do think I may applique the road sign from this fabric on to corner stones (is that the right term) for the corners of the border.

I am open for suggestions. The states I visited (and shopped in) were CA, AZ, NM, TX, OK, MO, KY, OH and of course PA.

And yes my DH is definitely a keeper (married 33 years). I know darn well that if he could figure out how to get the money without mortgaging the house, I'd have the new top of the line Bernina! But I really love my 440QE, and unless I could drive the other one to work...just couldn't see the money! :D
    Old 08-04-2009, 09:21 PM

You go, Girl. I'm excited for you. Those landscape blocks sound fabulous. Just tonight (eh-hmmm, this morning) I came across a Tennessee block in an old Fons and Porter magazine (July/Aug. 2002). That's the quilt I made for my GD#1's graduation. Didn't remember that the block had a name. :oops:
    Old 08-04-2009, 10:26 PM

Your first quilt is absolutely
    gorgeous!! :D You have done
    a fantastic job making it. Keep
    up the great work!!
    :D :D :D :D :D
    Old 08-06-2009, 05:42 AM

Wonderful job!
    And isn't it great to do things you have had to put aside for many years?
    I love your choice in colors and the pattern! It is fun to leave our creative juices flow.
    MissM
    Old 08-06-2009, 08:04 AM

I really like your colors and pattern
    Old 08-06-2009, 11:47 AM

Congratulations! Don't ever hesitate to post..it was an awesome wall hanging. Good for you!
    Old 08-06-2009, 12:28 PM
    Power Poster

Beautifully Done!!! :D :D :D