Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • I got the machine home and another great find! >
  • I got the machine home and another great find!

• I got the machine home and another great find!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by loves2quilt
    And heres my other find..heres the story of how I got it. When I was in Mo over the weekend I went to seom yard sales with my dd. The Amory was one place we went. I spied this machine off in the back by itself on a cart and thought it was sold but went to check it out anyway. DD said why do you want that old thing? So I asked the ladies running it and one of them said it was her mothers and it was taking up room so she decided to donate it. Now, everything here was not marked, it was whatever you wanted to donate. I was talling to DD and said I didnt want to give too much in case it didnt work (it does) but is missing the belt. The lady overheard me and said, Hun, we are closing soon, no one else has been interested in it, we dont want to have to load it back up. Heck, just give us $5 or $10 dollars and we will even load it up for you! I couldnt get my money out fast enough, I gave her a $10 after asking several times if she was sure. She said I would be doing them a favor. Alrighty then....this is what I got.. cabinet is in sorry shape...it came with attachments but they are for a Singer. Original manual and it was bought at a Maytag store in Lexington, MO.
    I have a Pfaff 130 in a maple cabinet. Both were in pristine condition. Hubby bought them at an auction for $5. He said he was the only person who bid! LOL

If you take it into someone who can clean it and service it, you will have one dynamite machine there! They are highly treasured by people who sail because it handles the sail canvas wonderfully! The machines alone run between $170-240 on Ebay!

I took mine into my sewing machine repairman and he said he had never seen one in such great condition!

Here's a pic of mine...
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-89147.jpe   attachment-89148.jpe  
    Old 06-21-2010, 06:04 AM

BTW, the Singer low-shank attachments will fit the Pfaff, too.

I have a photocopied version of the manual. If you'd like me to email it to you, let me know!
    Old 06-21-2010, 06:14 AM

This machine is semi industrial...She can do anything from silk to heavy . Great find...
    I think the cabinet is called tiger eye maple.
    Old 06-21-2010, 06:18 AM

Aorlflood I have the manual but Idont know know where to oil it at. What size needles does it take? Its probably in there but I havent had a chance to read it yet. I notice you have something on the top of yours that mine doesnt have, what is it? Or maybe I have part of it? Your hubby did good!! Yours is so shiny! Im hoping I can clean mine up like that. Now I have to find a belt. Do you know how to date these? I did a google search and didnt find anything. Topper1, thanks for the info on the belt, thats good to know!
    Old 06-21-2010, 06:20 AM

Wow! What a steal on machines. Now they will have a good home. They are beautiful, beats our plastic stuff to bits.
    Old 06-21-2010, 06:30 AM

Gorgeous cabinets & machines!!! You were definitely at the right place at the right time!! Don't forget to show us pics when they're all cleaned up!!
    Old 06-21-2010, 06:43 AM
    Power Poster

Great finds and good for you !!! Enjoy them. If you have any questions check out the vintage threads on this site by Lostin51 - Billy, Charlee also knows lots about the old machines.
    Old 06-21-2010, 07:40 AM

Wow -- what great finds!! They both are just gorgeous!! :D
    Old 06-21-2010, 07:43 AM

I love old machines and these are gorgeous. The two first ones should clean up just fine. In Dave McCallum's Featherweight book he tells you how to clean up an old machine. I used the products he talks about and my machine cleaned up great.
    Old 06-21-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by loves2quilt
    Aorlflood I have the manual but Idont know know where to oil it at. What size needles does it take? Its probably in there but I havent had a chance to read it yet. I notice you have something on the top of yours that mine doesnt have, what is it? Or maybe I have part of it? Your hubby did good!! Yours is so shiny! Im hoping I can clean mine up like that. Now I have to find a belt. Do you know how to date these? I did a google search and didnt find anything. Topper1, thanks for the info on the belt, thats good to know!
    That extra piece of metal is another (horizontal) thread pin. It is handy for winding a new bobbin without having to unthread the machine.

I believe it shows in the manual how and where to oil, don't remember right off the top of my head... However, if it doesn't, tip the machine back and take a look at where metal rubs against metal and that is where you need to oil. If it is in the upper portion of the machine, there should be a hole directly above that spot for you to oil through.

It takes regular needles that most sewing machines use. However, the bobbins are special and you need to keep your eye out for them. I found some in a quilt store on a trip in TN. Keep a bobbin in your purse so that you can check out bobbins when find them. The bobbins for the 130 are narrower than your standard bobbin for a machine that age.

I don't use mine very often, usually only for hemming jeans. I actually have a new(er) Viking that I bought about 3 years ago that I do my quilting on. I'm addicted to features like the needle up/down, not having to turn the wheel to help the machine start, attached needle threader, and ease of access to the bobbin...so that is why I do my main sewing on a new machine. Prob. my main complaint of the 130 is that I have to tip the machine back to change the bobbin. I think you are supposed to be able to slide the bobbin door and get it in that way, but I can't seem to do it...not dexterous enough or my hand is too fat! LOL

I don't know where to find a belt...I would just check with sewing machine repair shops and maybe even look online. My belt has metal in it...looks kinda like staples going across the belt. It makes a neat noise when it is running! It reminds me a little of a rattlesnake's rattle! LOL It's a soothing, interesting sound!