Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • I just can't do scrappy >
  • I just can't do scrappy

• I just can't do scrappy

Old 05-13-2010, 07:15 AM

Oh I agree with you. I just can't do scrappy. I started using charm packs and that helps but I still spend way too much time arranging & rearranging so it really takes the fun out of it for me. Some people just seem to have the knack for it and I envy them! Oh well, we each have our talent.
    Old 05-13-2010, 08:44 AM

I love scrappy but love the one you did too, great job
    Old 05-13-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
    So, I got a $50.00 certificate from my LQS for buying so much :mrgreen: :shock: . The owner had this bundle of 17 FQ's that was luscious, all teal and chocolate. She was making a woven ribbons quilt, and challenged me to make one with her. I KNEW better. I just don't do scrappy/unorganized. But, the 17 FQ Bundle and the pattern cost me just $1.96! :P :P

I knew while I was sewing the blocks that I wouldn't like the finished quilt, but I persevered. So I had all the blocks made and arranged so that no two fabrics adjoined (which was a chore, I'll tell you). While I was sewing the first row, my dear mother came in and rearranged the blocks. I was so disgusted I just started sewing blocks together at random. I really, really don't like this, but I'll use it to practice my FMQ on, so it won't be a total loss.

I did decide I liked the pattern, and made a coordinated quilt, which I'll post on another thread. The pattern is really easy, and this one went together in just a couple of hours.
    Personally I love this one more than the peach parfait. They are both beautiful....but I have to admit I love the colours in this one and the way it went together!!!! If you don't want it I will take it off your hands
    Old 05-13-2010, 11:31 AM

I love this one, sorry,but really think it's pretty!
    Old 05-13-2010, 01:02 PM

I think it turned out beautiful. Haven't tried a scrappy quilt except in a doll quilt. Does that count? LOL
    Old 05-13-2010, 01:05 PM

I LOVE a scrappy quilt!. but, I have to say with this pattern even I'd have a hard time making it scrappy, it begs to be organized, each 'ribbon' matching all the way through the quilt.
    You get an atta girl for toughing it out.
    Old 05-13-2010, 01:12 PM

These are the fabric that my DD and future SIL picked out for their next quilt. I have to laugh a little, because I don't consider it scrappy if you use coordinated fabric. I don't think I've ever made a quilt with a limited number of fabrics. (under 10 different kinds, say).

I grew up with my grandparents quilts that were made out of scraps and meant to be used in cold New England winters. My favorite quilts are still "utility quilts" and I am unable to resist adding fabric even to a matched set like yours.

I am always in awe of those of you who are more disciplined than I. I get bored with the same fabrics and don't finish things. of course, I am just as likely to get bored with a pattern and change it mid-quilt. I am often a challenge to myself. I do love this quilt, though. My daughter wants an oversized queen and I've been mulling how to use my fabric packages.
    Old 05-13-2010, 03:13 PM

I too cannot get scrappy to look gorgeous like other people can....I love the beautiful scrappy quilts, but mine come out looking too primitive, and not in a good way.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
    Old 05-13-2010, 05:50 PM

I think you r quilt top turned out great... I guess I an the odd one out I love scrappy and there is a quilt I do and yes put it in the BPB and pull one pc out at a time... if it is not the same color it is going next to sew it....
    Love the look when I am finished 99.9% of the time... relax and have fun with it...
    ConnieF
    Old 05-13-2010, 06:46 PM
    Ty

GaiGai,

You can send your quilt to me and I'll give it the love it deserves. I think it's wonderful.
    I can just imagine your sweet Mom coming in and rearranging your blocks. I would have pulled my hair and then had a temper tantrum, then probably wouldn't have finished the quilt. I'm sorry but I don't want to be bothered when I'm "creating".