Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • I made "Name This Pattern"!! >
  • I made "Name This Pattern"!!

• I made "Name This Pattern"!!

Old 10-16-2017, 04:51 AM

Beautiful.....love it.
    Old 10-16-2017, 05:13 AM

When I look at the block, I see drunkards path with extra arc, four patches. Just remember you need some "elbow room" on the edges for that 1/4" seam to join the blocks too. I would suggest you go to your library and get a few quilting books, watch Eleanor burns of quilt in a day and Jenny doan of Missouri star quilt company videos....helps to try to dissect blocks into their component parts.jmho
    Old 10-16-2017, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by themadpatter
    This is my first quilt block. It's 12" square. Thank you to Gay, Bear, Barb, Jan, QuiltnNan and everyone else who helped me puzzle it out. Immediately after I had cut out the little squares of one color, I realized I could have made two strips, sewed them together, and it would have been a whole lot easier. So, I started learning right away, lol. I used the piece-lique technique to make the quarter circle parts. Twice, because the first time I ended up without seam allowances. (At which time I looked at DH and noted that the problem with teaching yourself is that you frequently have an inexperienced, and therefore kind of crummy teacher.) I did 2x2 blocks, made the center 4x4 one, then made the quarter circles, added the corner 2x2 block and then attached them to the corners of the center 4x4 part. I put in the white on white curved wedges between the curved pieces, just so it would be square. I think if I make a quilt like this, I will stop after attaching the curves and corners, and leave the wedge blank until I assemble the whole quilt. Although wrestling with the whole big thing while sewing those curves might be really hard. So, maybe not. The easiest way would be to make all the curves and wedges and multisquare blocks, and then assembly would be easy, because all the blocks would be 6" squares. Except trying not to lose any of those pre-made blocks before you assemble the quilt. [ATTACH=CONFIG]582305[/ATTACH]
    You have done a wonderful job of putting this together. I agree with the idea of making it in sections and then sew them together. That will take out that nasty wedge part. The wedges are never easy and can be done in a simpler way. This is the segments I would make to sew this block. Excuse my shaky drawing lines....thank goodness I can sew straighter than this..... You have already figured out the tricky part, that placement of colors is key to getting the same look as the antique quilt.
    Attached Thumbnails 16-patch-curves-block-sectioned-themadpatter.jpg  

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 10-16-2017 at 06:19 AM.
    Old 10-16-2017, 06:41 AM
    DJ

How would it work to applique circles onto the background and then sub-cut into blocks?

It's a great pattern, and you've done nice work with it!
    Old 10-16-2017, 08:49 AM

I was originally thinking part of a drunkards path, too. Then the thought of the curves with the New York Beauty came to mind, too.

I like it a lot! You did a great job. Almost reminds me of a butterfly
    Old 10-16-2017, 09:00 AM

Oh looks great!! I still have not mastered sewing curves so I am very impressed!
    Old 10-16-2017, 11:23 AM

DJ and Bluelady, I did it using the piece-lique technique. (I have no idea what else to call it, so I sound like a commercial everytime I talk about it, lol.) Here's the post where I found out about it. http://www.sewmuchlikemom.com/2013/0...ards-path.html
    Old 10-16-2017, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    Just remember you need some "elbow room" on the edges for that 1/4" seam to join the blocks too. I would suggest you go to your library and get a few quilting books, watch Eleanor burns of quilt in a day and Jenny doan of Missouri star quilt company videos....helps to try to dissect blocks into their component parts.jmho
    No need to be humble, lol. I'm sure you've made more than one block, a UFO cathedral window from 1975, and a few baby quilts using cheater panels. There actually is a 1/4" seam allowance around the edges of this. It probably doesn't look like it, because there is extra fabric on the ends of the white wedge piece. My little pattern piece is on 1/4" graph paper, and it has one row labeled "SA" and one labelled "Ins." A little bit of insurance so I wouldn't have to cut it out again.
    Old 10-16-2017, 02:18 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by themadpatter
    DJ and Bluelady, I did it using the piece-lique technique. (I have no idea what else to call it, so I sound like a commercial everytime I talk about it, lol.) Here's the post where I found out about it. http://www.sewmuchlikemom.com/2013/0...ards-path.html
    thanks for the link. i remember watching sharon do that on tv many years ago
    Old 10-16-2017, 02:53 PM

I had to run upstairs and find the quilt top I made in a retreat in upstate NY a number of years ago. I just need to quilt it and it was in that box. The teacher called it "Domino". I will have my daughter take a picture of it tomorrow and I will post it. My printer scanner is down or I could do it. I am sure I have the work sheets someplace. I always planned to make another one but I was working so I put all the unfinished quilts in individual plastic like boxes and it is waiting for me now that I am retired...I loved retreats but haven't seen one I wanted to go in some time. It isn't exactly the same but you will see the resemblance.