Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • I really ned help on a backing.... >
  • I really ned help on a backing....

• I really ned help on a backing....

Old 03-09-2012, 12:23 PM

You have an AMISH quilt top!! An AMISH quilt top!!! I agree with JJean: a plain backing and hand quilt it. After all you have an AMISH quilt top! Look up on their websites and see how much your gift is worth. I bought one more than twenty years ago in PA and paid a month's salary for it. You have a true treasure and wonderful friends. You must be a special lady.
    Old 03-09-2012, 12:38 PM

I would stick to the simplicity as a theme for this quilt. I'd do a 2-color binding with the front color highlighting whatever applique you choose for the center squares and a color for the back to highlight a nice simple floral print. It'll be dynamic on both sides then!
    Old 03-09-2012, 12:58 PM
    Power Poster

What a great opportunity to show off some fabulous quilting. Use a floral on the back and floral quilt motifs in each block. It will be gorgeous!!!!
    Old 03-09-2012, 01:08 PM
    Power Poster

the quilting would enhance bring out the beauty of the quilt- beautiful quilting in all that blank space could make a wonderous quilt! if the colors are not really (your thing) choose a backing that is (your thing) and use it for the top- and what you have as a back....but with the right quilting that could be wonderful!
    Old 03-09-2012, 01:18 PM
    Power Poster

Using it for the back was my first thought and I see Tartan already wrote the same. It would make a lovely backing. Of course the other ideas are really creative as well. Hope you post again after you finish making this into a quilt.
    Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 PM

You might also do a fabric content check, it could be a poly/cotton blend and if it is, I would stick with that for the backing as well, and use a poly batt rather than the cotton. Just a thought.
    Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 PM

What a wonderful gift! That begs for some great feathers and that deep border makes for special quilting space. I know the proportion bothers you, but it is so practical. It places the piecing on the bed and provides a significant drop so no one catches a draft sleeping under it. Some traditional Amish quilt designs are really deep 12-15". Perhaps check out some pictures of the Espirit collection for inspiration.From a handquilter who sees a brilliant canvas, but it is your quilt top to do as you please.

Last edited by NDQuilts; 03-09-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: More thoughts
    Old 03-09-2012, 02:02 PM

I've seen some cool quilts where the stitching was done from the back rather than from the front. I would be tempted to find an appealing backing fabric then do the quilting to match that fabric. It will look like an all-over pattern on the "top" side.
    Old 03-09-2012, 02:08 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Learner747
    You have an AMISH quilt top!! An AMISH quilt top!!! I agree with JJean: a plain backing and hand quilt it. After all you have an AMISH quilt top! Look up on their websites and see how much your gift is worth. I bought one more than twenty years ago in PA and paid a month's salary for it. You have a true treasure and wonderful friends. You must be a special lady.
    My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't change a thing about the top, would make a back that's in keeping with the top, and hand quilt it. (Well maybe saying that I would hand quilt it is going too far. I haven't hand quilted anything... yet.)
    Old 03-09-2012, 03:04 PM

Ive seen some beautiful quilting on this site that would make a plain quilt pop out and be the beauty that draws the envy of many.