Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • I shouldn't be dissappointed... >
  • I shouldn't be dissappointed...

• I shouldn't be dissappointed...

Old 08-17-2011, 03:13 AM

I am sorry you are both disapointed!

Next time - ask... not everybody knows what you are thinking.
    Old 08-17-2011, 08:36 AM

In our family, we have a tradition. The gift is passed around for everyone to admire. Sure this takes time, but the reciepent(sic)also gets the impression of how well the gift is liked by all,or most of the guest, therefor an idea of worth. So a gift, that she might not have liked, now becomes a prize possession. Reverse psychology. Not to mention, that my sisters in law are not adverse to scolding her daughters, granddaughters or neices for their bad manners right then and there.
    Old 08-17-2011, 08:58 AM

Very cute baby blanket. I just love minki, I wish I could afford to put it on all of my quilts. You did a nice job and the baby will surely love it!!
    Old 08-17-2011, 03:36 PM

So sorry about the dissappointment. Keep your chin up and know that everyone doesn't understand the work, time and love that goes into making the quilt. I think it is lovely.
    Old 08-21-2011, 06:23 PM

The baby is going to love that quilt to pieces! Minki is sooooo soft and he/she will be delighted in the colors and the edges of each block they can play with. In the end it is for the baby :thumbup: Be patient the baby will thank you!
    Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 PM

I can just tell how soft that is!!
    Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 PM

It's a cute quilt, the baby will love it!!
    Old 08-25-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by EIQuilter
    You're right to be disappointed, because you put a lot of time into making something you hoped would be appreciated and loved. BUT . . .

Some people just don't have a special place in their heart for quilts (or afghans or wallhangings or whatever the gift may be). I've learned that I make them only for people I know will love them like I do. If I make one for someone who isn't a quilt lover (or if I don't know for sure that they are), then I'm taking my chances, and I can't be disappointed if they aren't overly excited when they get it.

My niece loves my quilts - and she even made one for her daughter's "big girl" bed, but she didn't want one for the girls when they were babies. Instead, she preferred my lightweight knitted afghans that were easier for them to drag around behind them as they got older. Baby #1 is almost 2, and that afghan is still her favorite. Baby #2 is about 4 months, and she doesn't have hers yet, but it's in the works.

Baby #1 came over about a month ago to spend the morning with me. I have an old baby quilt that I actually put on the floor for the pets. It has a hole in it, and it was nothing special to begin with - just a practice piece for quilting. Anyway, Baby #1 took a liking to it and would lay on it to watch TV. When one of the cats came up to lay on it, Baby #1 put her hands on her hips, looked down at the cat, and said, "MINE!" So, see? Even if Mom wasn't as appreciative as you would have liked, the baby may make the final decision after all!
    I was thinking the same thing... The baby may grow to appreciate it more than anything else. That's the important part! It is beautiful and I'll bet it FEELS wonderful!