Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • I shouldn't be dissappointed... >
  • I shouldn't be dissappointed...

• I shouldn't be dissappointed...

Old 08-16-2011, 06:42 AM
    Power Poster

Maybe the mother didn't appreciate it, but the baby will love it! It looks so cuddly!
    Hugs to you! :)
    Old 08-16-2011, 06:51 AM

First of all the quilt is just adorable and with the minky on the back I can just imagine how soft it is.

I have a friend who is a quilter but her daughter in law says that "homemade stuff" is inferior to manufactured stuff and she will not use anything hand made. I don't understand where that kind of thinking comes from. My friend just had one of her quilts appraised for $1,600. I wonder if her daughter in law knew that she would want one because of its value???

I agree with the others, that she may not realize that it is handmade, but just looking at it, I would have been hugging it myself because of the softness.

You did a lovely thing by making it for her and let your joy come from that if she is not appreciative of the gift. I love giving my handmade things to others, and I have felt diappointed at someones reaction to the gift once or twice, but I loved giving it so that is enough for me.

Wait awhile and see if you get another reaction from her, but if not, do not be discouraged, just keep giving those beautiful quilts just for the joy of giving. Blessings to you.
    Old 08-16-2011, 07:12 AM

The baby will love the feel and be cuddled in it so you have achieved your goal. Something beautiful, soft and warm for the baby!! :lol: :D :lol:
    Old 08-16-2011, 07:16 AM

If it was me, I'd pipe right up with "It's hand-made!!" Although I might not be quite so nice about it. Knowing me, I'd probably say something like, "It's not a "blanket!" It's a hand-made quilt! (And I don't tend to be quiet and laid-back in a situation like that. I'd try my best not to sound annoyed, but I'd let her know right then and there, it's not just a blanket!
    Old 08-16-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by vivoaks
    If it was me, I'd pipe right up with "It's hand-made!!" Although I might not be quite so nice about it. Knowing me, I'd probably say something like, "It's not a "blanket!" It's a hand-made quilt! (And I don't tend to be quiet and laid-back in a situation like that. I'd try my best not to sound annoyed, but I'd let her know right then and there, it's not just a blanket!
    right on!
    Old 08-16-2011, 08:00 AM

THE "BLANKET" IS SO SWEET. I HONESTLY THINK THAT SO MANY OF OUR YOUNGER GENERATION DO NOT RECOGNIZE "HOME MADE" GIFTS NOR DO THEY APPRECIATE THEM AND THE LOVE AND HARD WORK THAT GOES INTO OUR "WORKS OF LOVE"! HOPEFULLY SOMEDAY SHE WILL COME TO REALIZE THAT WHAT SHE RECEIVED FROM YOU WAS A VERY VERY SPECIAL GIFT. I DO UNDERSTAND YOUR HURT FEELINGS!
    Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 AM

She's not the one who will pass final judgment on the quilt. It's the baby. I made a pretty quilt for my (excuse the length) Step-son's Step-daughter's baby. Got a "how nice" from step-step. Baby is now 2 years old and won't go anywhere without the quilt.
    Old 08-16-2011, 04:16 PM

Give her some time and if she doesn't come around, it would be the last home made gift she would get from me! My son told me that he just "doesn't get" quilts. I'm so glad he told me!
    Old 08-16-2011, 04:27 PM

look at it as a good thing for the baby and forget your niece
    if she is real young they do not appreciate gifts like we do
    they believe store bought is best
    Old 08-16-2011, 04:53 PM

This so-called "new generation" is so unappreciative. I worked w/ my chidren and am now trying to instill in my grandchildren the practice of showing appreciation for every gift they receive. Their parents also help me out!!!