Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • I turned my wedding dress into a quilt - Ask Me Anything >
  • I turned my wedding dress into a quilt - Ask Me Anything

• I turned my wedding dress into a quilt - Ask Me Anything

Old 06-24-2024, 07:39 AM

This is an impressive quilting adventure with a gorgeous outcome. Amazing!
    Old 06-24-2024, 07:59 AM

What a wonderful keepsake. Great work!
    Old 06-24-2024, 05:16 PM

Absolutely amazing.
    Old 06-25-2024, 03:56 AM

What a great quilt! It's just gorgeous and worth all that work!
    Old 06-25-2024, 05:02 AM

Beautiful! Unfortunately, when we got married (1978) knit dresses were very popular. Although mine has a lot of lace on it, the fabric itself is would not be suitable for a quilt.
    Old 06-25-2024, 03:10 PM

Beautiful! I am a retired bridal seamstress. I love hearing what people do with their dresses.
    Old 06-26-2024, 01:59 AM

Wow. What a great quilt. Your vision to see the finished product is very creative. Obviously there is a lot of fabric in these dresses, and what a great momento to your day.

Do women still "preserve" their dresses? I remember in the 80's and 90's, it was a thing to buy this special box and preserve your dress. 🤔
    Old 06-26-2024, 03:00 AM

That is a phenomenal undertaking and you did it so beautifully! Thank you for being willing to answer questions.

How big is the final quilt? Is that some of the gown used for backing?

It reminds me of one of the English princess's gowns where everything that is done to it has significance reflecting the joy of the wedding day. Are some of the flowers on the center panel specific to both you and your husband?

That quilting is amazing! If you didn't show the back of the quilt I would have considered what I saw on the front as creases in the silk. It looks like the lace was added after the quilting because I see nothing pressed down at all so if it was quilted with the lace already attached -- wow!

These are all treasures.
    Old 06-26-2024, 05:07 PM

Default RE: I turned my wedding dress into a quilt - Ask Me Anything

Thank you for the kind compliments - everyone. It was a labor of love.

Originally Posted by ibex94
    That is a phenomenal undertaking and you did it so beautifully! Thank you for being willing to answer questions.
    How big is the final quilt? Is that some of the gown used for backing?
    Originally Posted by ibex94
    The final size is about 3'x4'. I used the gown fabric for almost everything. For the back, the corner triangles are actually 2 made up of pieces each, and three of those pieces are the supplemental fabric. The differences in the fabric are subtle but you can really see it in the photo if you look at the bottom - left is gown, right is extra.

I've attached two photos that give a bit of an indication of how much gown fabric I had.

It reminds me of one of the English princess's gowns where everything that is done to it has significance reflecting the joy of the wedding day. Are some of the flowers on the center panel specific to both you and your husband?
    7 of the flowers are from my bouquet (Blue Delphinium, Larkspur, Lily, Carnation, Rose, Veronica, and Oxeye Daisy). The sunflower is because I put a sunflower seed on each of the place cards for people to grow, and the Gerbera Daisy in the center was what we used as centerpieces.

That quilting is amazing! If you didn't show the back of the quilt I would have considered what I saw on the front as creases in the silk. It looks like the lace was added after the quilting because I see nothing pressed down at all so if it was quilted with the lace already attached -- wow!
    OMG - sewing on all the applique by hand took forever. All told the applique & beading was about 160 hours - that's over half the time! I debated quilting the applique on but because I wanted the topstitching to look good on both sides, I nixed that idea real quick. I kept the outer topstitch ivy leaves fairly big so sewing on the applique wouldn't be too painful but my hands were definitely mad at me when I was done. Tweezers were a huge help here!

These are all treasures.
    Attached Thumbnails even-more-fabric1.jpg   yet-more-fabric.jpg  
    Old 06-26-2024, 05:10 PM

Default Re: I turned my wedding dress into a quilt - Ask Me Anything

Originally Posted by Quiltah Mama
    Wow. What a great quilt. Your vision to see the finished product is very creative. Obviously there is a lot of fabric in these dresses, and what a great momento to your day.

Do women still "preserve" their dresses? I remember in the 80's and 90's, it was a thing to buy this special box and preserve your dress. 🤔
    I did which I think made a big difference but I got married in '98 so who knows what's done today......