Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Ice Follies ( an OBW) >
  • Ice Follies ( an OBW)

• Ice Follies ( an OBW)

Old 11-13-2010, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Katrine
    Originally Posted by rdupuis
    WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW ! ! ! I Love Your Quilt, Where did you find the pattern? And your colors accually make it look frosted, Great use of color and design. What dose OBW stand for ? OTHER BEAUTIFUL WORK ? if not, Then it should be.
    Dick
    Ps Also GREAT NAME
    Thank you Dick! It actually does look very frosty because the sparklies from the metallics have scattered over most of the area!
    There are 3 One Block Wonder books by Maxine Rosenthal - I have the second two ("...Encore" and ... "Cubed"), and the instructions are within them, together with ideas and tips for choosing suitable fabric, size of pattern repeat to aim for depending on what you wish to make, stacking the layers, cutting and construction - very easily explained with good illustrations. There are some great examples of quilts and ideas for incorporating additional features, borders etc etc.
    Beware, they're addictive :lol:
    Thank you for your reply, Your Quilt is totally differant from anyone of mine, That is why I feel that I want to expand my design field. I am always looking for quilt designs that appeal to men . I have many grandsons and need such material. Thank you for opening a new door for me. I will have to look for that book
    Dick
    Old 11-13-2010, 04:07 AM

WOW WOW and WOW beautiful
    Old 11-13-2010, 04:19 AM

absolutely gorgeous!
    Old 11-13-2010, 05:24 AM

Out of this world great.
    Old 11-13-2010, 05:31 AM

All I can say is WOW. That is quite a piece of work. It is fascinating to look at.
    Old 11-13-2010, 05:38 AM

I think it is great!! I just am sitting back here marveling at what you've done.
    Old 11-13-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
    My, My, My! that is a beautiful piece! I am not going to notice any errors, only the beauty and intricacies of the whole design. Simple magnificent. It loos so elegant with the cool colors. Thanks for adding something else to my bucket list!
    Shemjo, I just couldn't think of enough words to describe what I feel for this work of art. You did it very well. I am happy to be one of those who can see such beauty and we owe that to the Quiltingboard and all of the members.
    Katrine, Ice Follies is magnificent. Thank you for sharing it with us. It is like magic. I love every piece of it and spent a long time enjoying it. I will be coming back over and over to enjoy it again.
    Old 11-13-2010, 05:59 AM

Really love this quilt

Pat
    homecaregiver
    Old 11-13-2010, 05:59 AM

OOOOOOH! Just fantastically awesome! I'd like to know what kind of silver thread you used for the quilting? I couldn't find any errors, so if you think there are any, don't worry about them. I really love the interlocking cubes. I love the optical illusion factor and wonder how you make those and not get confused. Is it they are made in such small sections, you don't get the whole effect until they're sewn into whole hex's? I haven't read the third book yet. Again, applause, applause!
    Old 11-13-2010, 06:21 AM

Oh thanks all - it's lovely to hear what you think, because different people see things different ways.

Fireworks, thank you - I always use Superior's metallics, with Bottom Line in the bobbin. Never had a problem with them, even doing fmq.
    Those 3 big cubes are constructed entirely from 60deg. triangles (81 of them, 242 different pieces of fabric), which some comprise of 5 separate pieces! And you're right, when you're putting each of them on the wall, until you've done about 16 or 18 it looks really weird. I drew up a plan on 60deg graph paper I printed free off the internet. Drew it up, colour coded every tiny piece and numbered each triangle. Then I wrote myself a "menu" of dimensions of each piece for every triangle with colour and width of strips required.
    Even then, when I'd stitched 2 or 3 and walked to the Board, I couldnt figure out which way round they went without looking at the plan! And some of the big cube hexes also contain parts of the base OBW fabric too. You do make them in the same way, it just looks so strange because of course each pinned block is not a "complete" cube as the smaller ones. And when you come to matching seams when joining vertical strips, it's great fun!
    So it is a slow process - but very satisfying.