Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • IRR  2....Group 2 Pictures......The Stitching Sisters >
  • IRR 2....Group 2 Pictures......The Stitching Sisters

• IRR 2....Group 2 Pictures......The Stitching Sisters

Old 04-20-2010, 10:28 AM

Take your time PJ.. lol I used up a ton of graph paper on yours as well. Still need to finish squaring it up and pop it in the mail!!
    Old 04-22-2010, 02:40 AM

P.J.
    I sent 2 packages to you on Monday. Hopefully, they will get to you today or tomorrow. One is the extra focus fabric teacup sent me.

I, too, had to scramble to make her top the right size. I was 1 inch too short. I was in such a hurry to get it posted, I forgot to take a picture :oops:
    Old 04-22-2010, 04:16 AM
    Power Poster

Thank you ladies so much for taking the extra time to make sure the tops are square...I appreciate it, the owners of the centers appreciate it and most certainly the person following you appreciates it! :D

P & J..maybe you can post for Quiltwoman when it gets to you! :D
    Old 04-24-2010, 04:14 PM

Quiltwoman, the packages were in my box yesterday. Again, it's amazing to see these projects grow.

I've uninstalled all the software for the new camera & will have DH try it again - maybe tomorrow, but not sure. DD & I have a bridal shower to go to (scheduled to last 4 hours -isn't that kind of long??), then he has to take her back to college for the last 3 weeks of her freshman year.

When he gets it reinstalled, I'll try again to get some pics up and posted. If that doesn't work, I'll have to get the old camera back from him (keeps it @ his office) - at least that one and my old computer speak!

Today while running errands I stopped at my office to print a report - hoping to make Monday, when school resumes, easier. To my dismay, shock, horror and embarassment, I found out that the substitute courier who was on last week did not take any mail to the post office. We're very spoiled by our regular courier, who is happy to take personal packages to the PO for us. I had left not only my package for Kendra, but a sewing machine I had sold - and promised to have delivered to the buyer by last Friday.

Now I have to figure out a few things: How to get pre-printed online postage refunded (when it prints, it's only good for that day), what to do about the sewing machine, and Mamabird's center which should have been in Canada by now!

This is my first IRR (and probably my last; it's too stressful) but for those who have participated before - do you know of any problems with packages being lost in the mail? The reason I ask is that a different swap I was in had my package going to Canada and it took forever. I actually ended up making up another package and sending it, which arrived within days of the first one finally getting there. It made me think. Should I be insuring these? As they grow, they've obviously become more valuable. At school, we send all of our IB tests out via UPS international, as we have found them to be much more reliable for packages outside of the US. When the package I'd sent to Canada in March took so long, I tried to track it, only to find out that USPS pretty much washes their hands of it when it leaves the borders. Now I feel like I'm knocking on wood every time I send something...

It was after noon when I was at the office, so too late to go to the PO myself today. Other than growling - and possibly cursing - there wasn't much I could do.

Also, I know that in the "rules" for the IRR, shipping was supposed to be via the postal service, but would UPS be acceptable?
    Old 04-24-2010, 04:41 PM
    Power Poster

P&J...Here are a couple of things....first...don't try to take off your online prepaid postage...you can mail it just fine. They will tell you that you can't because it doesn't "post" properly at the post office and thats why they don't like it. That particular PO won't get the "sale" to show on the proper day. You might ask about it as I know it IS possible.

As far as insurance...you are sending to Kendra in Canada, so please DON'T insure it. It would result in Kendra having to pay VAT taxes to be able to recieve it. This happened a couple of times last year. As far as loosing the tops...we have had 1 top this year that is very very very late and a replacement has been made...but out of 60 tops...I think that is pretty good. I'm an optimist..so I still hope the "lost" one will eventually show up.

I didn't put anything in the "rules" about UPS due to the higher cost. If you find that it will deliver better, quicker, etc and you feel better using them...its fine with me...check to see if they deliver at Kendra's though.

I hate to hear you say that the IRR is too stressful...as it isn't meant to be anything but fun....and of course getting a quilt that a bunch of your online friends have worked on...and ALL these are beautiful!
    Old 04-24-2010, 05:06 PM

Well, admittedly mine is growing more amazing each time I see it. And I have been challenged and learned things. I'm much better at following a pattern than coming up with an idea.

When I was putting the second round I'd worked on into the package, I saw fabric cut from the previous border and almost cried. There was a moment of absolute panic. How will I fix that? How did I DO that? Etc.

Then I realized: Quiltwoman does lovely applique, and it's cut away at the back to reduce bulk. Phew. Boy, that really scared me.
    Old 04-24-2010, 05:10 PM

P&J dont let the mailing stress you out i just got mine mailed yesterday. i figure this is my first irr also and i am doing the best i can in fact last round i didnt think i would come up with an idea before it was time to mail
    Old 04-25-2010, 05:18 AM
    Power Poster

Look guys...the mailing dates are established for a couple of reasons....neither of those is to create stress!

We have to set dates (1) to insure that the tops keep moving and (2) in fact, some of us work better under stress :oops: ...but we have 2 months between for those who like to take their time. See....neither one mentions stress at all...

P&J...I imagine my heart would have stopped at the sight of cut fabric too :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 04-25-2010, 08:11 AM

Oh P& J, I"m so sorry to scare you! I think you are doing a smashingly fabulous job and I don't want to see you so frustrated!

I promise, with your next top, I did not cut away the backing as it was so close to the edge, I was afraid it would stretch and be out of square.

For this next round, look out! I made a border that even my teenagers said....huh?? I hope it fits and I plan on adding just a smidgeon of "something" when it feels right. All my attempts so far have been a dud. (Sorry Kendra, it's just not right yet!)

Keep your chin up! this is supposed to be fun. I am so looking forward to seeing my finished top--it will be like Christmas! :-D
    Old 04-25-2010, 05:20 PM

You are all so very kind. I'm just a chicken in general - ask family or friends, they love to tease me.

I am so enjoying having Paula's top here with me for a bit. I love purple and green and the touches of burgundy and pink set it off wonderfully. The hydrangeas remind me of my grandmother as she had them in her garden - although they weren't as colorful as these.

Earlier today, another thread had a link to border tips on quiltville.com that was interesting. I realized - too late - that I should have gone around the outside of my pieced borders with a stay stitch.

That makes today a good day, as I learned something, right? Even if DH did call when he was two hours from home to tell me he lost his car key. I'm pretty proud of myself - my only response was, "Okay, I'll be there in a couple of hours." That was NOT what I was thinking...